009 Blood Bath

Nine, Blood Bath.

      "Open the door! It's Hershel!"

At the sounds of Rick's distressed yells, Adeline, Lori, Lola, Carol, Carl and Beth run towards the door, Carl scrambling for the keys and unlocking the creaky jail cell, allowing Rick, Mikael, Glenn and Maggie to wheel in Hershel who laid atop a metal table. T-Dog and Daryl staying out by the main part of the cell. When they got into the cell block, it was obvious what happened— Hershel was missing his leg.

      "Oh my God!"
      "Daddy!"
      "What happened?"
      "Get him on the bed."

      The three hurriedly rushed Hershel into one of the cells, working together to lift the older man and lay him on the bottom bunk.

      "He got bit," Daryl announced. The group could figure out how they had dealt with the bite, the missing limb giving it away.

      The older man was unconscious, his breathing unsteady as blood spilt out from the uneven amputation. Adeline rushed into action, taking the towels stored underneath the bed, placed there in preparation for Lori's birth, and pressing them to his wound. "I need bandages!" Adeline demanded, panic on her face, devastated that she was looking at her father-in-law unconscious and losing blood rapidly.

      Mikael ran his hand down his chin, "We used everything we had!" He explained, pulling his youngest sister into his side and ushering her out of the room and away from the distressing scene.

      "Is he gonna die?" Beth asked her older brother, tears already spilling from her eyes.

      "No, Beth. No, he's gonna be fine. Adeline knows what to do." He soothed, pulling her head into his chest as he sat her down in another cell whilst Maggie simultaneously led Lola into her makeshift bedroom.

      Inside Hershel's cell, Adeline was panicked. "I need to keep his leg elevated. Pillows, I need pillows," the woman waved around her hand, directing orders at whoever was listening. 

      "We can burn the wound to clot the blood. I can start a fire." Glenn suggested, already digging through a backpack in search of a lighter.

      Adeline was thankful she had medical training or else she might've taken up Glenn's idea.

      "No, cauterising wouldn't work with a wound this big. The shock could kill him, the arteries won't stop bleeding and we'll just be dealing with something bigger." She breathed out, her hands still keeping pressure on the limb as more towels were thrown her way. "Only thing we can do is keep it dressed and let it heal on its own."

      The cause of the commotion outside could be heard, Rick leaving the cell to join Daryl and T-Dog. Lori, Carol, and Adeline remained in Hershel's cell. The brunette did what she could for her father-in-law, which wasn't much except to keep pressure on the wound. So she asked Carol to take over, who had been taking lessons from Hershel in case of emergencies like this. When Adeline finally left the cell, she was covered in blood. Her t-shirt and half of her jeans were stained, and her fingers up to mid-forearm were also drenched in red.