Ch. 42- Run Maria!

Start from the beginning

"Oh, call me Bill," he insisted politely, but Nicole interrupted him.

"Mr. Jefferson, the body has been taken outside." She signaled for him to leave us, then turned to us.

"You two better have a good explanation of why you're here."

We explained the patient's condition, and Nicole became somber about the inevitable outcome. Knowing he wouldn't make it, she suggested we inform the relatives to prepare them for the impending bad news. Heartbroken, Anita and I left the mortuary.

On the stairs, seeing John, it hit me.

"Anita, I have some work here; I'll be joining you in 10 minutes. Can you go without me for now?" I asked her. She nodded and left me.

I returned to the mortuary, where they had brought out a torn-up, burned-down body on the table at the center.

Everyone around the table noticed me coming back. Nicole questioned me, "What the heck are you doing in here again? Go back to work."

Ignoring her, I turned to Bill and said, "You know why I am here." Bill had become pale.

Bill stumbled while speaking, causing confusion among colleagues present on-site. "You can inform Mr. Volkners about the outcome on our behalf," he managed to say.

Dr. Murthi, the head of forensics, ordered the autopsy with Bill's permission. Two of my colleagues started to perform the autopsy on the dead body. I asked Bill, "Whose body is this?"

"Train conductor's. We assume he is complicit in the attack."

I checked the papers of the train conductor. He was a fully white British man. It had been almost 10 years since I saw someone run an autopsy on a body, but I had no idea the Director of MI5 himself would want to witness the autopsy under his watch. The doctors collected stomach fluids and other samples for further forensic investigations, but nothing suspicious was found.

My eyes fell on his torn, burned-down uniform. Bill followed my gaze and ordered the doctors to check his pockets. There was nothing except a single piece of paper in his breast pocket, the edges burned, and there were a few black spots. It said,

"Run, Maria Volkner, Run!"

The world around me started to spin as I felt nauseated.

Bill looked at me with a horrified gaze. I was hyperventilating at this point.

"Its time to inform Mrs. Volkner, please," the director of MI5 asked me with a shaky voice.

People around me gave me confused, angst-filled stares.

I felt my hands become colder with each breath I took in.

__________________________________________________________

Rhys rubbed the palms of my cold, sweaty hands. His hands were bigger than mine, so he struggled to warm them up.

Maria was on her way to London. Rhys and I were ready to face MI5 in their office after yesterday's autopsy in our hospital. Every time I watched James Bond movies and saw the SIS Tower, I imagined what it would feel like to visit there. But I had no idea such an occasion would present itself.

"We should leave."

I shook my head vigorously. Both Rhys and I were invited to join Bill for tea. I had already briefed Maria on what was happening, so she was well-informed.

Rhys brushed his fingers through my dirty hair; I was too tired to take a bath for the last two days.

"Kay, it will be fine. I am with you."