Ch. 47- Killer Eyes

"Hor auf mit deinem Unsinn!"

Someone yelled so loudly that I jolted awake. My bladder and bowels urgently reminded me it was time to use the bathroom.

More yelling in German floated in from somewhere. I couldn't open my eyes—they were too heavy with sleep.

Soon, I realized Rhys was roaring like a lion, cussing someone out in German. He was fully suited, ready to head to the office. I lifted my head to see him furiously clutching his phone and yelling into it. But as soon as he saw me waking up, his demeanor changed. His angry eyes softened at the sight of me.

"What happened?" I mustered, needing another ten hours of sleep. Rhys walked slowly toward me, making me realize I was naked, my torso completely exposed to his view.

But he didn't look at my chest; his eyes stayed on mine.

"Nothing..." he said calmly and sat in front of me. I aimlessly covered myself with the blanket and shimmied toward him.

"Why were you yelling?"

"Work stuff. I have to go..." He started to stand up, but I grabbed his hands. He still had a fever, and his skin was hot.

"You're not going anywhere! You're ill! Why do you want to fly to Zurich again?" I yelled.

Rhys sighed at my outburst.

"I am going to the USA, not Zurich."

I was shocked.

"Rhys, you can't even breathe properly right now! Why the fuck..."

He stopped me before I could continue.

"The Volkner Empire will fall if I don't go right now. It's a do-or-die situation, Kay," he said, his voice calm and composed. His demeanor had shifted from anger to surprising calmness. I wanted to ask him what had happened, but I knew he wouldn't say anything.

So I remained silent, waiting for him to elaborate.

Rhys looked down at my hand and sighed deeply. His beard had fully grown back. He looked like my old Sameer.

"Kay, Emilie is having breakfast downstairs. Cover your hickeys, please," he said, barely containing his laughter.

Despite the seriousness, his comment made me burst out laughing.

He gave me a satisfied look, pleased to see me shift from worried to happy.

"Where are they?" I asked, searching for the bite marks.

"Everywhere," he said with satisfaction.

I blushed a bit, remembering what had happened last night.

He leaned in to kiss my forehead. "I'll be back within two days. Please don't go back and join your hospital again. Please."

I giggled. "I won't."

Rhys leaned in and kissed me again, this time on my lips—a kiss of a lover.

"I love you," he whispered in my ear, not giving me enough time to react.

And then he left, leaving me worried.

I knew bad things were happening under my nose, but I had no idea what they were.

_________________________________________________________-

"Why do you have so much foundation on your face?" Emilie asked as we sat at the dining table. Our butlers were serving us breakfast while Emilie worked on her admission papers.