Ch. 13- Meet Sameer (!!)

"It's all my fault!"

"No brother it's not! Why you are saying this!"

                                            "They almost took her away!"

"But we saved her. You saved her! It's alright brother."

                       "It's happening, again! I will never forgive myself, Marco, if anything happens to her!"

"It's not your fault! You fucking saved her you idiot!"

                       "It's my fault God dammit! I let this shit happen!"

All the hushed whispers in the room woke me up. A sudden burst of bright light almost blinded me with its intensity.

I found myself in my suite, nestled in my bed with sunlight streaming in through the open windows. I recognized one of the voices; it was Marco. The other voice, tinged with sobs, sounded painfully familiar.

I attempted to raise my head to catch a glimpse of the person, but a gentle, yet firm, female hand gently pushed me back.

"I'm giving you a dose of Diazepam to help you relax, Doctor. You need rest. You sustained some injuries, but you'll be okay. Just rest and sleep," she insisted. I tried to voice my concerns but the heavy medications made it impossible. She administered the Diazepam through my IV channel.

I drifted off to sleep without realizing it.

When I eventually woke up, there were female security guards in my room. Two elegant women dressed in black suits, their hair pulled back in tight ponytails. John and Giuseppe were also present. The nurse arrived and removed my IV. She assessed my Glasgow Coma Scale, which was a perfect 15 despite the head injury I had suffered yesterday. I was no longer under constant medical supervision, but I still needed medication to cope with the trauma. They had administered nutritive saline through my IV, so I didn't need to eat, but the hunger pangs persisted deep within me.

I decided to have my next meal the traditional way, by mouth.

A server brought me a steaming bowl of French Onion Soup and a hearty Boeuf Bourguignon, accompanied by fresh pieces of bread. My hunger was so intense that I devoured both soups in no time. There was an extra cheese assortment on the table, the names of which I couldn't even recall correctly. I paired them with some grapes for dessert.

However, my mind felt foggy, and analytical thinking seemed out of reach. Diazepam was starting to work its magic, erasing the traumatic incident from the forefront of my mind. The lingering sense of impending doom had retreated far from my heart. I was now strangely relaxed and calm as if being kidnapped by random men was a routine occurrence in my life.

I lay on my bed for a good 40 minutes, gazing out at the bustling streets of Paris with a mind devoid of coherent thoughts. I had asked the female guards to leave me alone for an hour, and they had complied.

I called for John and Giuseppe, who had been waiting outside while I had my dinner. It was now well past 10 o'clock.

"Thanks," I said softly, as they had found me yesterday. They acknowledged my gratitude and left the room silently, their faces revealing no emotions or welcoming gestures. This left me alone with the two female guards who had re-entered my room. I noticed the guns hidden in their holsters, tucked beneath their jackets. But just before John exited, he turned back to address me.