07. Preliminaries

Looking for a Miracle
Chapter Seven
Preliminaries

The basketball hit the gravel ground, echoing slightly in the open air. I didn't make any attempt to dribble or shoot; I was content just to bounce it in one place as I talked with Sei.

Results from our tests had been handed out today. Unsurprisingly, Sei had topped the class in all subjects. I hadn't expected any different. I'd narrowly beat Midorima to second place overall; if he'd scored higher than me in one more test, I'd have taken third instead of second.

Most surprising to me was that Aomine managed to pass. His average was nothing spectacular, but he managed to get a higher score than I thought he'd achieve. I'd almost ripped my hair out during my week of tutoring him, almost certain that my efforts would end up being in vain as he kept drifting off, or demanded to play basketball (Ever since he discovered that I also enjoyed playing basketball, it was like he took this as a sign that I'd rather play basketball than study, like him).

It was times like that when I wondered why my cheeks flushed in his presence, or why my stomach would perform somersaults when he spoke to me. But then all he needed to do was grin and laugh in his carefree manner, joke with me or light up when he talked about his greatest passion: basketball, a passion the two of shared.

He was almost the polar opposite of Sei. Surprisingly, ever since I realised my crush on the power forward, I'd started comparing him to Sei more than a few times.

Speaking of that... I caught Sei mentioning Aomine's name. I turned my attention to him.

"Congratulations on getting Aomine to pass his exams," Sei said, with a small smile.

I chuckled "He's more trouble than he's worth. I spend all week tutoring him and he still only manages to pass by the bear minimum. At least he can play in the championship tomorrow."

All members of Teiko's first string had passed their tests, so everyone would be able to participate in the preliminaries for national tournament next week. Only the top schools in each district were allowed to attend the national tournament . Teiko was expected to do well; the team was one of the strongest middle school teams in Japan, and often took one of the top spots, which was why it was vital that all members were available. The head coach, Shirogane, had started to take over training sessions a few weeks ago. Normally it was just the first string coach, Naoto Sanada, who oversaw training, but when it came down to official matches Shirogane took control before he left it to the hands of Sanada again.

Sei was nodding. "That's all that matters, yes."

I stopped bouncing the ball, and instead held it still in my hands. "How are you feeling? About the upcoming tournament?"

He shrugged. "There's nothing to be worried about. We'll win the championship."

"You say that like you're certain."

"Have I ever been wrong?" He raised an eyebrow at me, a small smirk on his lips.

I chuckled wryly. "No. You haven't." I turned back to the hoop and absentmindedly began bouncing the ball again. "Do you think Haizaki will show up?"

Sei's eyes darkened. "He should. He's missed too many practice games and training."

Haizaki was a difficult topic in the team. He only showed up to training and games if he felt like it, and felt no concern about the team. He didn't show any concern about teamwork, preferring to play on his own, even if it ruined team play. When he wasn't at training, we'd hear some worrying rumours about what he did outside of school.

Despite this, he really was a good player. It was difficult to kick him off the team when he really was skilled.

I sighed heavily, a few strands of hair being blown off my face. "I don't know why he signed up basketball in the first place," I grumbled. I'd tried to approach him once... It hadn't ended well. I stuck close to Sei, Momoi and the others.