Broken lives on 18

Avery's POV

I sat on one of the kitchen island stools, the soft glow of the morning sun filtering through the curtains and casting a warm light on the pages of my novel. The only sound was the gentle hum of the refrigerator in the corner, a comforting backdrop to the stillness of the room.

As I turned the pages, lost in the world of the story, a sense of peace washed over me. Outside, birds chirped softly, adding to the tranquil atmosphere. In that moment, surrounded by quiet and calm, I felt completely at ease, content to lose myself in the words on the page. It was a rare and precious moment of solitude, a sanctuary from the chaos of the outside world.

Suddenly cutting my peace short a buzz from my phone cut through the silent atmosphere and I scrunched my face in utter dismay as I turned to look at my phone. I reached across the table and grasped it.

Unlocking it I found a text from an unknown number. I scrunched my brows as I read through the text.

Unknown:
Avery Leroy, report to work immediately. Carly Kingsley is sick, and you are required to fill in for her today. You are expected to be at your working station without delay. Do not make any excuses or attempt to negotiate. Your presence is mandatory. Failure to comply will result in awfully strict actions. Get to work now.

'Is this supposed to be kind of joke or someone is actually fuckin with me?'

I stared at my phone with a furrowed brow, my annoyance growing with each passing second. The text message on the screen seemed to taunt me, its words inciting a sense of frustration that boiled within me. Its words twisting and turning like a knife in my gut. I clenched my jaw, my grip on the phone tightening as I struggled to contain the storm of emotions raging inside.

I didn't move, rooted to the spot as if daring the message to provoke me further. The annoyance radiated off me in waves, my jaw clenched and my eyes narrowing in irritation. How dare they send such a message? The audacity of it all only fueled my growing anger, my fingers itching to type out a sharp response.

“You good?" a voice cut threw the void making me snap my attention to Lyssa who stood on the other side of the kitchen island. I sucked in a deep breath and quickly let it out.

I raised my phone to her view and she just raised her brows. “You tell me, how I should I feel about this?“ I drawled.

“Uh...well its not as bad as it seems" Lyssa said her voice laced with uncertainty.

“Define bad" I said, not a single expression on my face.

“I mean, you do work there. Its like ninety percent of your life you are at the hotel so yeah. Its not that bad” she shrugged.

"It was supposed to be my day off for goodness sake, can't I just have some me time?“ I whined.

"You have ten percent of your time to do that” Lyssa said in a duh tone.

"And the rest?” I drawled.

"If I were you, I will totally cease the opportunity. Remember you have one chunk of a meaty boss waiting for your arrival and I would totally show him what his missing out by not asking me out” she said breaking into a goofy smile.

“Unfortunately you aren't me and secondly it would have sounded better if it was a fairytale and thirdly…eww” I said before putting my phone down and running my hands into my hair. "If Carly needs someone to fill in for her, its usually Theron who does that not me. I bet its that socalled boss” I said in pure annoyance as I stood from the small stool. I grabbed my phone and started walking to my room to get ready.