Broken lives on 3

As I strolled through the deserted town, soaked by the rain, a strong sense of drowsiness and fatigue overcame me. It was supposed to be a special day, but unexpectedly he canceled our plans because of an unforeseen commitment.

It would have been considerate of him to give me a heads up, so I wouldn't have made the effort to come all the way there.

Oddly enough, I couldn't shake off the feeling of being ditched. I mean, I was trudging alone in the rain, while my boyfriend decided to call off our date. Perhaps things didn't go as planned, but maybe I can spend time with Bailee instead.

The idea of watching the recently released movie 'After' with her spurred me to quicken my pace. Finally reaching home, I entered through the backdoor and instantly sought refuge in the cozy house. Hurriedly, I made my way to my bedroom, dried myself off, and changed into something warm.

Following my full recovery and return to my normal self, I set out to look for Bailee. Despite thoroughly searching most parts of the house, I couldn't find her anywhere, leading me to contemplate checking her room.

Ascending the stairs in a composed manner, I perceived audible noises emanating from her room, prompting me to investigate whether it was her responsible, as I was certain I heard a groan.

Without any warning or indication of my presence, I forcefully burst through the door. The sudden instream of oxygen left my lungs deprived, causing the sensation of breathing in carbon monoxide instead.

Images of Bailee and Stephan's faces flashed through my mind as I abruptly sat up, gasping for air. Surveying my surroundings, I noticed that the room was dimly lit, not yet completely enveloped in darkness like the evening. A cold sweat formed on my forehead as I remained seated on the bed, experiencing a slight headache.

My heart raced at an alarming pace, causing me to slump back onto the bed, clutching my face. After calming myself, I strained to listen for any signs of movement, and discerned laughter echoed from the kitchen, indicating the return of Ellie and Lyssa.

Glancing at the red luminous watch resting on my bedside table, which displayed the time as 17:57, I let out a sigh and reclined on the bed. It had been a while since I last had those kinds of nightmares. I hoped it wouldn't become a recurring occurrence again, yet it seemed ingrained in my mind, forever etched as a tattoo and a mark of my mistakes.

Dangling my feet over the edge of the bed, I stood up and made my way to the bathroom. After concluding my business, I proceeded to the kitchen, where I discovered the two lively ladies bustling with excitement.

Lyssa grinned as she leaned against the fridge, saying, "We definitely got to go." I lazily walked over to the sink and filled a glass with water I took from the plate rack.

Ellie turned her chair to face me and greeted me with a "Hey."

I responded with a drawn-out "Hey" as she rotated her chair towards me.

"Was it that bad?" Ellie asked, concern wrinkling her face.

I reassured her, shaking my head and saying, "No, actually my day was alright." She tilted her head, giving me a blank stare.

"So,  are you really okay?" I wondered why they were interrogating me so much.

"I'm fine, Ellie," I smiled falsely, hoping they would fall for it. The two of them exchanged blank stares before Lyssa spoke up again.

"Come on, we know something's bugging you. It's like that look you used to have when..." She trailed off and widened her eyes at me. Oh no

"Avery," Lyssa said, standing up straight and speaking seriously.