Darkness

"Damn!" Lamyri swore, throwing her battle axe across the companion's training grounds. It flew through the air, making a quiet 'whooshing' noise with each spin, and lodged itself into the target across from her. A perfect hit.

"Great shot child!" Vignar Gray-Mane praised. Lamyri scoffed, not satisfied with her work but she smiled at the old man as she went to retrieve her axe. There weren't many people in the world Lamyri respected, but Vignar had been a father figure to her for the past twelve years. After the lose of her father, and her older sister, and the move from her home to a new city with a sickly mother who payed no mind to her, Lamyri shut down. She wouldn't speak to anyone for the first year they lived in Whiterun. Then one night when she was walking the streets alone a wandering vagrant attacked her. He had a knife held out to her, demanding she give him her coin purse. Vignar came running out from behind a near by house and pushed the thief down, taking the dagger from him. He shouted for the guards and had the man arrested, saving Lamyri's life.

From that night on she hated criminals and vowed to bring them all to justice. She also followed Vignar everywhere. He was a disgruntled old man who, from the first time they met, had called her child. After a while Lamyri doubted he even knew her name. He acted as if he didn't like her, but really he loved her like a daughter. If she felt safe with anyone, it was Vignar. Her new sense of justice and following him around lead Lamyri to the companions, where she was now only one good shot away from joining the inner circle.

"What has gotten into you child? You're angrier than usual!" Vignar chuckled, watching as Lamyri threw her axe again and again, not stopping until she couldn't lift her arms anymore. She collapsed on the ground exhausted.

"My sister has returned." She panted.

"But that's wonderful news child! You should be happy, I'm sure your mother will be!"

'Is it?' Lamyri couldn't shake the feeling of foreboding doom that had chilled her spine since the first time she saw her sister again. She thought back to when Vaemona was on the ground, staring up at her. That woman was nothing like the sister she remembered. Of course, at the time of their last meeting Lamyri was only eight and Vae was twelve, but still. That Vae she remembered was kind, and a light hearted being. But as Lamyri looked down at that woman, all she saw was darkness. A sort of darkness that made her stomach churn with disgust. But no...she couldn't think like that. After all Vae was smiling, maybe Lamyri was wrong about her sister. Maybe Vae hadn't changed at all in the past twelve years. Still though...something seemed wrong. Even back then Lamyri knew there was something different about Vae, something special. Had that something different, that light, become a darkness in her sister's soul?

The idea made her blood boil. She stood up, picking her axe back up and getting ready for another throw. Just before she could swing her arm forward someone grabbed her wrist. She turned back to see Vignar had grabbed her wrist and was staring down at her with a stern expression.

"I have indulged this foolishness long enough. It doesn't matter what has happened in the past, she is your sister. She is one of the last family members you have left and at the rate your mother's disease is progressing she is soon to become your ONLY family. Now suck up your pride child and go find her. I'd start at the temple of Kynareth, I'm sure she went to visit your mother." Vignar let her go and left, back into Jorrvaskr, leaving Lamyri alone with her thoughts. She knew he was right, but did she have the courage to go? Did she even want to see her sister after she had abandoned her with their ill mother? Lamyri didn't know how to feel. Would she forgive her sister? Did she understand why Vae had to leave? Or did Lamyri hate her for it, and for the reason why she had to leave too? After all Lamyri did hate criminals, and her sister was a murderer. Lamyri thought back to that night...the night when everything changed.