Belethor's General Goods

Vaemona stared up at her younger sister dumbfounded. She was tall, but not much taller than Vae, with a thin and lean figure that contrasted Vae's thicker, curvier self. Her long blonde hair reached her thighs and curled at the ends. Vae's own hair was a dark curly auburn that looked like charcoal in the shade but fire in the sun. It was cut rather short, just below her shoulders, because she caught it on fire while working the forge, scorching off the ends. Vae's skin looked like caramel, but Lamyri's was as pale as the snow. Her eyes were deep pools of midnight blue and her face had sharp angular features, showing hints of their elvish ancestors. 

Vae however looked very much like their imperial forefathers with an ovalish shaped face, softly defined cheekbones, roundish small nose, and large brown eyes that were sometimes black and sometimes golden. Vaemona was attractive in her own right, but Lamyri had always been the beautiful one. The two women looked nothing like sisters, the only thing that could link them as kin were their pointed ears and a birthmark they shared on their left shoulder blade.

Vae took her hand and Lamyri pulled her up. 'She's strong..' Vae was impressed, though she knew she was still stronger. "So, you've finally come home." Lamyri's tone was light, almost joking, but Vae could see a flicker of anger in her eyes. In that moment, all of the pain and loneliness Vae had felt in her time away, she could see reflected in her younger sister. Guilt washed through her like a tidal wave. But before she could speak, a woman interrupted their reunion.

"You handle yourself well. You could make a decent shield-sister." Vae turned to see a woman, obviously a huntress, standing beside her.

"What's a shield -sister?" Lamyri scoffed at Vae's question, walking away with the other man and woman who had been fighting the giant.

"An order of warriors. We are brothers and sisters in honor. And we show up to solve problems if the coin is good enough." Vae couldn't help but laugh to herself 'So much for honor..'. Vae thought it sounded like a waste of time, but her sister was one of them. It may have been her only chance to get close to her again.

"Can I join you?"

"Not for me to say. You'll have to talk to Kodlak Whitemane up in Jorrvaskr. The old man's got a good sense for people. He can look in your eyes and tell your worth. If you go to him, good luck." Vae nodded to the woman who turned and walked away in the direction the others had gone. Not knowing what else to do, she followed them.

Soon they were inside the city gates. Lamyri was just ahead of her, but Vae couldn't bring herself to speak, not until she had the right words. As they got further into the city, Vae broke away from the group and entered a shop called Belethor's General Goods. When she had come to Skyrim, she came with a journal, but the soldiers took it away. She could tell she would need one, and figured if anywhere sold them, it would be Belethor's.

As soon as she entered the shop Belethor came, nearly running, from the back with a grin like a madman. "Welcome, welcome. Everythings for sale my friend. Everything! If I had a sister, I'd sell her in a second." Belethor's gruff cheeriness made Vae smile. This shop had been open since she was a child, her father and Belethor were good friends. They would talk for hours at the Drunken Huntsman, while she and Lamyri wandered around the cloud district picking flowers. But now wasn't the time for catching up.

"Do you sell journals?" Vae asked, assuming he wouldn't recognize her.

"Why yes I do! I've got one right here!" He pulled out a small but well-bound tanned leather journal. Its pages were a lightly aged cream color and soft to the touch. A small strap wrapped around it, keeping it closed when not in use. All in all it was a great piece of work. "Made it myself actually." He smirked at the look of admiration on Vae's face.

"How much?" She turned the journal over in her hands, tracing her fingers over the supple leather cover.

"It's free, as my condolences." Vae looked up at him confused.

"Yeah...that's right. I remember you. You may have been gone these past what? Twelve years now? But your mother has been here the whole time. I know her conditions gotten worse, and I knew you would be back around sooner or later." Vae grinned, happy to be recognized by a familiar face.

"It's good to see you Belethor."

"That's a lie and we both know it." They both laughed.

"Anyways I better get going, I still have yet to check on my mother. Thank you for the journal." They said their goodbyes and Vae left, her mind set on finding her mother.