Cave bear...Right...

"Segrid! We have company!" Alvor yelled as they entered the cottage. The cottage itself was rather small, directly in front of the door was a sizeable bed. On the right of the bed was a wardrobe and a small table complete with a chair on either side. To the left of the door was a large wooden table. A few plates of bread sat on the table top along with two sconces. Beside the table was a bookshelf and next to that a staircase descending into darkness. The whole place was pleasantly warm, a welcomed change from the harsh cold of the outside, and the air smelled of the soup that cooked in the cauldron above the small fire that burned in the grey stone hearth.

A woman who had been sweeping in the corner smiled brightly at Vae and Hadvar. "Hadvar! We've been so worried about you!" She exclaimed, walking over to her nephew and giving him a loving hug. "Come, you two must be hungry. Sit down, and I'll get you something to eat." Segrid walked away, and a small girl that Vae hadn't noticed stood up from the bed, following who Vae assumed was her mother down the stairs.

Hadvar sat down across from Alvor at the large table. Vaemona found her seat off to the side, not wanting to get between their conversation. "Now then boy, what's the big mystery? What are you doing here, looking like you lost an argument with a cave bear?" Vae chuckled quietly to herself, Cave bear...right... Segrid returned with two bowls, filling them both with soup and placing them in front of Vaemona and Hadvar. She handed them both wooden spoons and then returned to her sweeping. Vae ate slowly in an effort to display manners despite her body yearning for her to take the bowl and drink the soup in one gulp.

Hadvar cleared his throat and glanced at Vae, she smiled reassuringly. "I don't know where to start. You know I was assigned to General Tullius' guard. We were stopped in Helgen, when we were attacked..." Hadvar paused and cleared his throat "...by a dragon." He finished hesitantly.

Segrid stopped sweeping, her expression becoming grave but Alvor laughed. "A dragon? That's...ridiculous. You aren't drunk, are you boy?" Hadvar sighed heavily, not sure if he would be able to convince his uncle of the truth. Vae began to interject but Segrid spoke before she could-

"Husband, let him tell his story." At his wife's urging, Alvor nodded for Hadvar to continue, this time listening with an open mind.

"Not much more to tell. This dragon flew over and just wrecked the whole place. Mass confusion. I don't know if anyone else got out alive, I don't I'd have made it myself if not for my friend here." As Hadvar said this Alvor turned towards Vae with a grateful smile and an appreciative nod. "I need to get back to Solitude and let them know what's happened. I thought you could help us out. Food, supplies, a place to stay."

"Of course! Any friend of Hadvar's is a friend of mine. I'm glad to help however I can." Vaemona looked around at the available resources. Out of what was offered Vae selected a few clothing items, various foods, a couple healing potions, and some lockpicks which she put in her bag.

"Thank you."

"Like I said, I'm glad to help in anyway I can, but I need your help," Alvor paused, and then continued a bit more desperately, "We need your help. The jarl needs to know if there's a dragon on the loose. Riverwood is defenseless. We need to get word to Jarl Balgruuf in Whiterun to send whatever soldiers he can. If you'll do that for me, I'll be in your debt."

Vaemona nodded in agreement, "I would love to help, but how do I get to whiterun from here?"

"Cross the river and then head north. You'll see it, just past the falls. When you get to Whiterun just keep going up. When you get to the top of the hill, you're at Dragonsreach, the Jarl's palace."

"Alright. Thank you again for the help."

Alvor turned towards the door. "Well I better get back to the forge, you two make yourselves at home." He left and and Segrid continued her sweeping. The little girl came back up from below and jumped to Hadvar's side.

"Hadvar, did you really see a dragon? What did it look like? Did it have big teeth?" Vae smiled, the girl's innocence and childishness reminding her of Lamyri as a child.

"Is it alright if I rest?" Vae asked, glancing towards the spare bed.

"Of course, you must be exhausted after what you've endured." Segrid beamed.

"Thank you." Vaemona took off her outer armor and laid down, falling asleep almost immediately.