Blood Bath

On the far wall was a pull chain that controlled a wooden portcullis. Beside that was a weapons rack containing another iron sword. Vae picked up the second weapon and stored it across her waist, opposite the other.

"Come on, this way." Hadvar instructed as he pulled the chain. The portcullis descended into the ground, leading them to a small entryway adorned with an Imperial tapestry. This continued off to their right until another portcullis blocked their path.

A husky voice echoed through the stone structure. "We need to get moving! That dragon is tearing up the whole keep!" A second, more feminine voice answered, "Just a minute...I'm out of breath."

"Hear that? Stormcloaks. Maybe we can reason with them." The hallway opened up into a large round room, furnished by a small wooden table and a few tapestries. Without pause or thought the Stormcloaks attacked as they turned the corner. One raised his warhammer and went straight for Hadvar with full force. Hadvar managed to block the attack and get in a quick blow with his short sword before Vae's assailant hindered her view of the other battle. The female stormcloak's attacks were quick but sloppy, and easily avoided. A light swoosh noise could be heard with each swing of the woman's blade. Vaemona may have been able to avoid getting hurt now, but for how long? The unfamiliar burden of the armor, combined with the panic of never having fought outside of a training camp before, Vae's body began to feel heavier with each step.

The muscles in her arms burned under the weight of the sword she carried, sweat began to pour from her forehead. If she didn't end this soon, then this would surely be her end. But could she do it? Could she honestly take another being's life, just to save her own? What made her life any more worth living than the woman in front of her, who was only acting out of self defense? As these thoughts filled her mind, the woman struck Vae with her shield. The wind flew from Vae's stomach, almost causing her to fall over. Without any further consideration or care Vaemona lifted her blade straight into the air. The woman had been preparing for her kill blow and came down with all of her weight onto the sword. The iron torn through the padded stormcloak armor, and ripped her flesh straight through her heart. A sickening gurgling noise met Vae's ears as blood began to pool in the soldier's mouth. Behind her, Hadvar had beheaded the other soldier and stood watching as blood gushed onto Vaemona. It spattered on her skin like thick hot raindroplets, staining her armor and matting her hair. She sat there panting for a moment, then the realization of her actions set in. She pulled her blade out and sheathed it with one smooth fluid motion.

"Are you alright?" Hadvar's words were barely audible to Vae as she stared down at the woman she had slaughtered.

"I'm fine." Her voice wasn't her own. Her usual amused tone was gone, in its place was one cold, distant, and calculated. "I like her boots." Vae reached down and pulled off the woman's fur boots, replacing them onto her own feet. What is this feeling? Sorrow? Guilt? Rage? No...its a much calmer, and almost...pleasurable sentiment. Am I..enjoying this? The thought struck a chord in her being. Did she honestly just kill someone? And was she truly..relishing in the feeling of the blood that was now dried to her skin?

"Let me see if I can get that door open." Seeming completely unnerved by Vae's actions, Hadvar returned to their quest of escape. Vae shook her head, clearing any thoughts that plagued her mind and distracted her from the mission at hand.