Those Hated By Light

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, so you're telling me Polaron, as in the guy tied with Green Wolf for the title of the scariest guy in Oleander, is the guy the two of you fought?" Kyle hissed.

Hope winced but slowly nodded her head. Her face was buried in her arms, and she didn't bother eating any of the food she had gotten for lunch. Many of the other students walked about, and never once batted her, or her mini squad, an eye. "Yeah. I wasn't exactly at the top of my game but even despite that fighting him was rough. I hate feeling weak like this."

"You're not that weak." Armin snorted. "I mean I didn't do anything. Battery was the one who did all the heavy lifting."

"Speaking of him, how is he?" Kyle asked. "You said he collapsed randomly after the battle."

"It wasn't randomly." She clenched her hands into a fist and tightened her jaw. "He has heart issues. I wasn't paying closer attentions. I feel like such a jerk. I went and told him I'd make sure something like that doesn't happen then broke it on my first big mission." She'd just have to make sure that in the future he wasn't put in anymore harms way.

It was a few days after the fight, and she was back at school. Needless to say, her mood hadn't really changed since the battle. The villains had escaped, many people were hurt, and worse yet, Mr. Larison had nearly died.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Armin asked. He poked at his food. None of them really felt like eating today.

"Sure. You can try and help convince him to let Paragon heal him or something." She grumbled.

She hadn't gotten to see him after he collapsed. The moment he had hit the ground and blacked out all of them panicked. Paragon had even tried to heal him while he was unconscious but Mr. Larison was one stubborn bastard. In his battle with Green Wolf he had created a barrier around both her and the villain at one point.

The same barrier usually was put around his own body to boost his durability, and stop things from flying into his eyes when he ran at full speed. That barrier made to keep him safe had gone up when he blacked out and stopped Paragon from being able to touch him. It had layered over his skin perfectly, keeping her out. It took both Myth, and Poseidon, working together to get him to the hospital, and even then they couldn't really do anything for him until the shield went down.

"What was meeting the Sub Enforcers like?" Kyle asked in an attempt to change the mood.

She didn't answer, so Armin piped in. "It was super cool. I looked up too so many of them when I was younger, and I'm glad I'm working for Myth. He was my hero when I was a kid. We didn't really get to know any of the Sub Enforcers too much. No clue about their identities and stuff like that. I think I hit it off with BB though. May try asking her out next time I see her."

"Pretty sure she was talking to Whisper." Hope cut in. "It seemed like the Sub Enforcer members all knew her or something."

"Yeah, I got that impression, too." Armin hummed. "When I joined up with Myth, she was actually the one who approached me and asked me to join. I don't know how long she had been working for him, but she was always odd like that."

Kyle rubbed at the back of his neck and shrugged. "I never even heard of a Whisper. Then again, I still haven't even heard of either of you two. No offense."

"Offense taken." Armin huffed.

"You think anyone noticed that Kevin is gone." She asked suddenly.

"Huh?"

"Like, do you think Kevin being gone has affected the school at all." She looked around the cafeteria, and as far as she could tell, nothing had really changed. The jocks all sat together, the nerds hid away, and the popular kids gossiped. "I thought he was some important cog in the machine, but it looks like everything moved on without him."