The First Page Turns

A roaring inferno raged across Oleander, tearing down everything in its path, be it building or person.

The sound of battle cries, cursing, and screams almost seemed louder than the rumble of collapsing buildings or the roaring of the invading Beast that went out of its way to attack anything that moved.

Children wailed in their parents' arms as they were carried across the last bridge that stood, the only way left out of the city.

Cinder did her best not to groan. The Beast had hit her only a single time, and yet she was sure this was the worst pain she had ever felt in her short life. She quietly fastened the straps to the silver shield that hung on her arm.

"You, okay?" The voice of Poseidon almost caused her to jump.

Cinder nodded her head. "Yeah, I'm fine." As far as she knew, it was just her and Poseidon that were left standing.

"Good. Because here he comes." The water twisted and formed, rising out of the river beneath the bridge they guarded. It developed into a large trident, which Poseidon gripped tight enough to turn her knuckles white.

Cinder felt part of her life leave her when she finally saw the Beast as he ripped past another building. Bigger than any human had a right to be and covered in molten metal, even the nearby stone beginning to melt from the heat he radiated. He approached slowly, not even bothering to look at the two of them, his eyes focused on the group of fleeing civilians behind them.

"We have to win," Poseidon stated, pointing her trident forward.

Cinder nodded and gripped her shield tighter. Smoke rose from her skin, and her costume ignited as she became a blazing inferno, much like the Beast. "Then I guess we'll win."

And with that, their battle began...

***

Several months earlier...

"Earlier today, Avalon Industries found itself turned into a battle zone when the terrorist organization known as Zoo arrived. At the moment, the damages are still being discovered, but the worst of it was prevented when Victorian arrived on the scene, causing the members of Zoo to flee-"

Hope didn't get to hear whatever the newswoman would have said as the video on her phone was suddenly paused when someone yanked the cord to her headphones out. "Hey! I was watching that." She grumbled.

"Well excuse me for trying to help." Her friend Armin stood to the side, his arm stopping Hope from walking any further. "You were about to miss the turn." Hope's shrug made him sigh and roll his eyes, giving her a half grin. "What were you watching anyways?"

She pocketed her phone as they turned down the street, and continued on their way to school. "The Victorian." That was all she needed to say.

"Another disaster." Armin groaned.

"Yeah. A giant wave almost flattened Rose city. Thankfully she was there to stop it."

The boy snorted, nodding his head. "Well, I could have told you that." He said with an eye roll. "She always saves the day."

Hope had to agree with her friend, though she used that word loosely. He was more like a brother. Armin was a kid, her mother used to babysit for extra cash. They had taken up banding together and walking to school, this day being no different.

He was a nice enough boy, if a little bit odd. Armin had that typical nerd look. Curly brown hair and a face full of freckles. His bright eyes came off as childish due to the oversized round glasses he wore, and he was all skin and bones, but still managed to have a bit of a chubby belly somehow.