Chapter 127: Holiday Party

"So, do we have any game plan or not?" (Y/N) dropped a mass of items onto the table in front of them, making a still gloomy Kate that little bit brighter. Clint exhaled contently as he sat up.

"Make some more trick arrows, gear up, get ready for tonight." Clint explained, swiping a hand across the table to pick up one of the arrow tips (Y/N) had put down. There was a mix between arrow tips and random items that the two archers could use to make more. Clint had sent (Y/N) on a trip to one of his old equipment stashes across the city.

"Very convenient that you just happened to have this shit stashed in New York. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that's lazy writing, right guys?" (Y/N) said, peering off and winking as if he were looking at a camera. Or more accurately...

"Don't make me come through that phone screen of yours, reader. I will take your yoo-hoos and your strawberries." (Y/N) spoke in a calculating tone, getting weird looks from both Clint and Kate.

"Right... Mr. Schizo is in his own world over there, so-" Clint motioned to the arrow tips, silently asking Kate to start putting them on their arrows. The girl just nodded and went along with it, her head quickly falling low as she tried to block out her thoughts.

(Y/N) rested on the table, watching the two work with curiosity. "What's happening tonight?" He asked, unaware of what the two had been talking about while he was gone.

"Holiday party. That's where it's all kicking off." Clint told him, his eyes settling on Kate as he noticed her somber body language. (Y/N) followed his eye-line and hummed at the sight.

Kate was surprised to feel (Y/N) place a hand on her head, a soothing gesture as he hovered beside her. "You don't have to do this, you know. But this is part of the job. It's taxing. You'll get hurt. The people around you might get hurt." He spoke softly, his other hand moving to comb her hair back as he began to slowly plait it. Kate was taken aback, but focused more on his words. "If this is truly the life that you want, you have to understand that it comes with a price. This is the big test. If you get through this... you're an Avenger."

Kate wanted to smile at him. In any other circumstance, she would've. She just scanned the table, head lightly shifting as he worked with her hair. That was always what she wanted. No matter the risk, no matter the cost. Ever since that day.

"When I was young, aliens invaded. I was alone. And I was terrified." Kate began, her eyes lifting from the table. She looked at Clint. "Then I saw you. You didn't have any magical powers, any fancy suit or weapons. You were just a normal guy, fighting aliens with a stick and a string."

Clint met her eyes as she continued. "I saw you jump from the building even though you can't fly, even though you don't have superpowers. And I thought, 'If he could do that, then I didn't have to be scared'. You showed me that being a hero isn't just for people who can fly or shoot lasers out of their hands, it's for anyone who's brave enough to do what's right, no matter the cost."

(Y/N) and Clint looked at one another, while Kate's determined face stayed the same. "I'm ready."

With the fall of night loomed impending battle. The Bishop Security building was lit up with all kinds of fancy lights to welcome its entering guests, the next few of which were Clint, Kate and (Y/N).

Clint and Kate wore formal attires as they entered the building, while (Y/N) opted for a full suit; Clint told him he looked like he was attending a wedding, but he just mocked him for being jealous.

They took the elevator once they were inside, going up to one of the higher floors to attend the party inside. After a swift walk down another corridor, they took a left into the holiday party and were met by many chattering voices across the large room.