Chapter 25: Back to Base

2nd Person POV

"Oh, come on. I read all the Shield files that Natasha leaked. You can't come after me for bringing that up." You rolled your eyes as you spoke with Steve. The two of you walked off the quinjet, keeping your voices low since Tony was still aboard. Everyone else had left, most of them to check on Clint while he got medical attention from Cho.

"Are you crazy? You can't just talk about that in front of Tony." Steve scolded you in a hushed tone. You saw absolutely no issues with what you had said. You yourself had embraced what happened to your parents. And look where it got you. A kill count in the hundreds, possibly thousands.

"Just so we're up to date. You know who wasn't included on that information, right? You know, mighty fine hair, looks kinda like Jesus, pulled you from a river. The guy Zola implied di-" You stopped as Steve clasped a hand over your mouth, walking you to the elevator with an anxious expression.

"Can we talk about this later? And we don't know that it was him for sure." He grumbled. The elevator opened in the distance and Maria stepped out, walking towards you both. You were going to disprove that theory later. It certainly wasn't an accident, even if the only records on it were of the car crash.

Maybe you could ask Tony if his dad's eyesight was poor and that caused him to crash. Eh, but maybe not the best idea.

"Word on Strucker?" Steve released you, stopping to talk to Maria while you narrowed your eyes at him for his actions.

"NATO's got him." She responded.

"The speedy guy and the creepy bitch?" You scratched at your eye, suddenly pondering if you had hay fever. God, you weren't going to be happy with that if so. Because the writer isn't having fun with it...

"Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Twins." She held out a tablet with a paused video. Steve took on side and you held the other so you could both watch. It was the same two people, rioting over something, you didn't really know what.

"Orphaned at 10 when a shell collapsed their apartment building." Maria explained and you let go of the device, allowing Steve to hold it.

"I'd say the girl was cute, but I'd have my good friend Cosmo Wolf after my ass." You snorted as the other two looked at you with furrowed brows. You glanced between them and shrugged your shoulders.

"Forgot your average little minds can't understand the concept of a 4th wall or how to break it." You lightly patted them both on their arms. "Just referencing something. Continue, my lovely Maria."

"Don't ever call me that, again." Maria said sternly.

"You remember that time you drenched me in Holy water? I didn't start bitching about that." You argued. How was she gonna complain about a small little joke of a nickname.

"Actually you did. For about..." She tapped her arms as she thought, "...10 minutes? 20?"

"Okay, you know what. Sure. Where's Hunter?" You asked curiously, no longer wanting to hear about yourself in the past.

"Upstairs... somewhere." She trailed off. If she lost your dog, you were going to push her from the window of this tower.

"What are their abilities, anyway?" You slipped past her and put a hand on the elevator door so it wouldn't close.

"He's got increased metabolism and improved thermal homeostasis. Her thing is neuroelectric interfacing, telekinesis, mental manipulation." She explained. Steve stopped his stride to follow you to instead turn and look at Maria in confusion. You tapped his arm to catch his attention.