Chapter 97: Falcon, Winter Soldier, Erebus

7 Months Later...

"Mamma Mia, here I go again. My my, how can I resist you? Mamma Mia, does it show again? My my, just how much I've missed you." (Y/N) sprawled upside down over the couch, singing alongside Meryl Streep on the tv.

For once, he wasn't in California, nor was he in Colorado. Both those homes no longer belonged to him. Now he was down in Utah living comfortably in a house way bigger than he needed.

"Come on, Donna. That's not a cool way to die." (Y/N) mimicked a Russian accent as he watched the woman on screen almost take a tumble. A hand grabbing his leg made him jump in surprise, falling from the couch and hitting his head on the wooden floor.

"I leave for five minutes and you're doing this." Yelena rubbed her eyes out of both disappointment and tiredness. She had been in and out of the house multiple times a week.

The two of them had been fairly distant for a while. (Y/N) was trying to settle back into the world after his spree of criminal offences, which Yelena was very, very sceptical of. That was definitely a key factor in the two being so far apart.

But the other problem was their losses. (Y/N) simply wanted to hold those he still had left close. Yelena, while never speaking of it with anyone, wanted something more.

When she learnt of her sister's death, it hit her hard. Perhaps even harder than (Y/N). She had been... silent on the matter to say the least. Communication between (Y/N) and her was rather on and off.

"Done with your field trip to the ends of the Earth for today?" (Y/N) joked, rubbing the back of his head as he stood up.

"Funny. Some of us have jobs." Yelena clicked her tongue, fumbling with the her hair braids. (Y/N) swished a hand through the air and immediately they came undone with a short glow.

Her blonde locks splashed out across her back and shoulders like a wave of water. Her eyes shone over (Y/N). "Thanks."

"You still refuse to tell me about this 'job' of yours. And for the record, I do have a job. I just don't have a reason to do it." He ran a hand in front of the tv, showing a video of Sam from the other day. He was up on stage with the shield Steve had given him.

"Ta-da. Crime rates are low and anything big is handled by this guy." He clicked his fingers and the tv turned off. "The whole reason I haven't been out there is because I wanted to stay here... with you."

Yelena eyed him for a few seconds, looking stern as she slid a hand into her pocket to grab her phone as it began to vibrate.

"Sorry to disappoint." She said without as much empathy as the words should've carried. She looked at the caller I.D before starting to walk towards the stairs. "I have to take this." Her footsteps faded as did her form as she walked out of the room and up the wooden steps.

(Y/N) groaned out a sigh in defeat. He'd say he was trying to get back on her good list, but it was more of her having the good list locked up in place of a bad list for the time being.

What would Natasha do?

That was a damn good question.

A jolt from his own phone gathered his attention. What? He was popular, too? He retracted the device from his side pocket, reading the message in his mind before sighing and putting his phone away again.

"You have got to be kidding..."

"This son of a bitch!" The words echoed out through the hangar as Sam walked with Torres. He had a lead on a group of criminals that had attacked the latter yesterday.