Chapter 22: Grave

(Y/N)'s POV

It was weird to look at Fury's tombstone. Knowing he was alive and probably well, yet I was stood with both Steve and Sam looking at the grave of the man. It was good to know Steve had survived the battle. It was good for him to know that I survived judging by the short hug he had given me when he had healed.

"So, you've experienced this sort of thing before." Fury walked up from behind us. He looked like such a creepy son of a bitch in the jacket and glasses he was wearing.

"You get used to it." Steve said. Got used to people faking their deaths? Was that what he meant?

"I was gonna bring flowers. Promise. The store ran out." I raised my arms and gave jazz hands. Making fun of death. A great coping mechanism in my opinion.

"I'm sure you were." Fury tilted his head in a shrugging motion. I mean... I was. I just realised that the store was kind of far and that I'm a lazy bastard, so...

"We've been data mining Hydra's files. Looks like a lot of rats didn't go down with the ship. I'm headed to Europe tonight. Wanted to ask if you'd come." Fury looked at Steve. I already knew his answer before he'd say it. Bucky survived the crash, too. Steve wanted to look for him.

"There's something I've gotta do first." Steve replied. Fury nodded understandingly and then turned to me. You couldn't pay me enough money to go to Europe with that man. But I'd let him down easy.

"(L/N)? You're one of the strongest men on this planet. I could use you." He offered.

"I'm no lapdog, Fury." I shook my head. "I used to think the same. That I was the strongest person around here. But after the past few days, I've never realised how outmatched I could be." Bucky had really managed to kick my ass, and it was bothering me. If hadn't been for Steve, twice! I would've been dead.

"I need time to train. Next time I want to be able to protect my friends. So my answer is no, Nick." I declined his offer. Steve placed a hand on my shoulder and I looked at him in curiosity. Oh, so I give one honest speech and the whole crowd awes.

Fury nodded to me then finally looked at Sam.

"How about you, Wilson? Could use a man with your abilities." He stated. I would admit that I respected Sam. Especially when he rolled over and just accepted the fact that I was going to play Time After Time in Steve's hospital room.

"I'm more of a soldier than a spy." Sam shrugged. Fury turned away and hummed.

"All right, then." He mumbled. He then offered a hand to Sam, shaking it before offering to me. I shook it and he then moved to shake Steve's. "Anybody asks for me, tell them they can find me, right here."

The three of us nodded to him as he walked away.

"You should be honoured. That's about as close as he gets to saying thank you." Natasha remarked as she appeared from seemingly nowhere. Steve walked towards her and I kind of just followed behind him.

"You're not going with him?" He asked.

"No." She shook her head.

"But you're not staying here either, I assume." I said and stepped to Steve's side.

"Well, I blew all my covers. I got to go figure out a new one." She shrugged.

"That's probably gonna take a while." I said. What a boring way to live. You could never be a spy.

"Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for." Natasha smiled. She paused, turning back to Steve and grabbing something from her pocket.

"That thing you asked for. I called in a few favours from Kiev." She passed a file to Steve.

"What's that?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Just a thank you for that time you guys pulled me from the rubble of a missile strike." She said like it was nothing. Well, excuse me. I could've sworn I was the one who did the carrying for that.

"Where's my thank you? I'm the one who did most of that." I narrowed my eyes.

"Oh, yeah. I'll buy you a Yankee Candle or something. You like any specific fragrance?" She tilted her head and I could hear Steve chuckle beside me. Great to know who's side he was on.

"Fuck you." I rolled my eyes rubbing my eye with one hand. "Cliffside sunrise." I mumbled as I did.

"Can do." Nat said enthusiastically. Well, it was better than nothing, I guess.

"Steve, could you do me a favour? Call that nurse." She turned to Steve again. Why was this so back and forth...

"She's not a nurse." He responded. Who were they even talking about?

"And you're not a Shield agent." Natasha replied in a quiet tone.

"Who are we talking about?" I tilted my head.

"Sharon. Blonde hair. You've met her. She's nice." Natasha said. She paused, looking over me and Steve before stepping forward and hugging us. I kind of just awkwardly patted her back while Steve put an arm around her. But it was short and she eventually released us.

She turned and walked off the same way she had come from. "Be careful. Both of you. You especially, Steve." She said as she kept moving. Once she was a good distance away, Steve opened the file she had given him. I peeked over his arm at it and Sam walked over and took a short glance. It was Bucky.

"You're going after him." Sam said.

"You don't have to come with me." Steve's words really didn't mean much.

"Yeah..." I said, pausing. "So when do we start?"