Chapter 9- Under the Moon

Itachi

The bark of the tree bit into Itachi's back, he shut his eyes focusing on the pain and ignoring the sound of the shower indicating Sakura was cleaning herself in the bathroom. He needed to forget how amazing Sakura's body felt, pressed against his, or the soft heat of her mouth. He couldn't dwell on how beautiful she was, or how much he enjoyed spending time with her. This was temporary.

The moment had been perfect and he'd played his role. That's all this was. A mission. In a few days, they'd return to Konoha and go their separate ways. He was sure that was what Sakura wanted, even if it wasn't what he or his mother wanted.

And when they got back he was going to call his mother out for her games. He was perfectly capable of choosing his own spouse. He didn't need a reluctant kunoichi, no matter how talented or beautiful, or how much they'd benefit the clan, thrown at him.

The bathroom door slid open, he could hear her moving around in the room, no doubt getting ready for bed. When she was finished he'd do the same and head for the stiff old horsehair couch in the living room. It would be a long seven nights but he respected Sakura too much to push her any further. And he wasn't sure he would survive the heartbreak of being any closer to the most perfect woman he'd ever met and then having to let her go.

"Itachi?"

She stood in the doorway, her body perfectly outlined by the light behind her. He shifted, ignoring how tight his pants suddenly seemed. She had a sake bottle and two glasses in her hand. "Emi left this for us, to um, celebrate. Do you want some?"

No, he wanted her in his arms again, her sweet warm mouth pressed to his as their tongues slid against each other. But perhaps sake would ease that need. "It would be a shame to let it go to waste, wouldn't it?"

She smiled, gliding down into the courtyard to join him. She wore a simple red robe, wrapped around her, secured with a white belt, and a single cherry blossom branch embroidered down one sleeve. She handed him a glass as she joined him next to the tree.

"We can move to a bench if you like."

"This is perfect. You can see the moon from here." She pointed up to the far side of the courtyard where a full moon hung just above the roof.

"It couldn't be more perfect." He sipped the sake she'd handed him. "Emi went all out this evening."

"She certainly did." Sakura sipped her own sake and smiled admiringly. "She even gave us her best sake."

Itachi felt bad for Emi who was being used in this game his mother had set up. But he felt worse for Sakura. She looked so sad in the moonlight. The earlier glow she'd had when they arrived had faded, and worry lines creased her eyes. "Are you tired?"

"Not really." Her gaze drifted to him and she searched his face. Her brow was creased and her mouth opened and then shut as if she had something to ask him, but was unwilling to say. She looked back up at the moon with a sigh. Maybe she was willing but afraid.

Fear wasn't an emotion he'd easily associate with Sakura. She was Lady Tsunade's apprentice, a feat most kunoichi would have shied away from. But Sakura had faced it head-on, training as a medic, and a fighter, and taking on duties in Hokage Tower at the same time. What bothered her so much that she was afraid to talk about it?

Had the earlier kiss offended her? He could still feel her body pressed to his. Her strength had rippled beneath her soft, feminine skin. She'd smelled intoxicatingly sweet as their lips had met. The moment her mouth had opened to his, he'd lost the battle. Her tongue had slid against his, timidly at first and then more boldly as they'd explored each other's mouths.