Chapter 3- Thoughts in the Dark

Itachi

Itachi stared at the wall in the darkness willing himself to sleep. His mother hadn't mentioned the wife issue since their breakfast almost a week ago. Suspiciously, neither had his Uncle. He was sure she'd set him up with Sakura on purpose. Was she sending him a message or trying to warm him up to the idea of dating?

He'd dated of course, but not a lot lately. Between his work schedule and the looks some of the elders gave his dates he'd given it up as a lost cause.

He hadn't met a lot of women who could hold their own with him anyway. He wasn't arrogant, but he wanted the woman in his life to be more than arm candy or a social climber. Most of the Uchiha women who chased after him, or were thrown at him by their fathers, were social climbers. None of them had a good understanding of the ninja life and even less of what his job as an ANBU leader entailed. Their conversations would revolve around clan business, festivals, and any children their union produced. And the non-clan women who set their eyes on him had no understanding of what would be expected of them as the wife of a Clan leader.

The memory of Sakura in his arms as they'd danced rushed back over him, her warm body held close to him as he'd spun her around under the lights. She'd been an excellent dancer and they'd danced most of the night, laughing and chatting in between. It didn't surprise him that she was a good dancer, but it did surprise him that he'd enjoyed it so much. He couldn't remember a time when he'd had so much fun at a clan event, even his mother's birthday.

In between dances, while they sipped sake and watched the crowd, they'd discussed the village, Clan events, and other recent news. She'd impressed him with her knowledge and understanding of the politics of ninja life and her calm acceptance of its shortfalls. She'd even had a good understanding of ANBU work and the pitfalls that came with it.

What he'd loved most, though, was watching her emerald eyes sparkle as she laughed with him. Her laugh was clear and sweet, without guile. She laughed because she wanted to and not because she thought it would impress the future leader of the Uchiha clan. Why hadn't he talked to her sooner?

He had been noticing her more, primarily because they'd run into each other more often lately. She sat quietly next to Lady Tsunade at meetings and took notes, occasionally asking a question in her sensei's ear and being answered in whispers. Often she was waiting outside the office door when he exited after reporting back to Tsunade from finishing a mission. She'd be standing off to the side, reading a book, or taking notes, seemingly unaware of him or anyone's presence. Now he wasn't so sure. It was more likely she was fully aware of them and choosing to ignore them.

He'd enjoyed her company so much tonight that he'd offered to walk her home when the party ended, despite the fact that it meant he'd only get about four hours sleep before he was expected to meet his team at the gate. Didn't Kakashi always have a handy excuse for being late?

And now he lay here not sleeping during those precious four hours. It was going to be a long day indeed.

It wasn't Sakura that was keeping him awake though. No, he was certain he wanted to know the Hokage's prodigy apprentice better. He wouldn't compliment his mother on her choice for him because it would make her conceited, but he was glad she'd meddled-- this time.

It was the look that the elders had given her when his mother had introduced her as the Hokage's Apprentice, her honored guest, and the woman Itachi was escorting that was keeping him awake.

Some had merely glanced with no interest at all. She wasn't an Uchiha and therefore she wasn't worth their time. It was the same attitude Sasuke had and one Itachi wanted to see eradicated from the Clan.

Some, mostly the older women, had eyed her with predatory smiles. They were eager to question her and press her for answers she didn't have. He'd steered her away from them as often as he could but she'd handled them kindly, gently and honestly when he hadn't. Of course, no one had asked the dreaded question about heirs either. That might have scared her off for good. The smile she'd given him as he'd left her at her door didn't make him think she'd been frightened in the slightest.