Chapter 8- The Inn

Itachi

Itachi sighed deeply as they approached the inn they'd be staying at. Tsunade had said she'd made all the arrangements, hopefully, that included two beds. He'd sleep on the floor if he had to, but he didn't want to and he certainly couldn't share a bed with Sakura. She'd been as charming as ever today, falling into her role with ease as they'd traveled. As they'd entered the village she'd even leaned into him, giggling with delight at the sights and whispering to him intimately.

He wasn't sure if she was acting or was truly interested in him. And it was killing him. When he'd told her she was beautiful her response had been so formal. It had sounded rehearsed. Perhaps she wasn't as interested as he was and was unwilling to make a mistake that might embarrass them both.

They passed through the door to the inn and he prepared himself to play his part. The owner sat at her desk, pen in hand as she worked in an accounting book. She glanced up when the door clicked shut and smiled broadly. His eyes adjusted from the bright sun and his shoulders sank in defeat.

It was going to be a long week.

"Itachi-kun!" She jumped from behind the desk and hurried over to him, pulling him into a hug and kissing his cheek while he was bent down.

"Oba-san, it's good to see you." He stood, pulling away from the older woman's arms. "This is my wife, Sakura. Sakura, this is my mother's cousin, Emi-san."

She bowed her head to Sakura. "It's nice to see my nephew has the good taste to not marry an Uchiha." She spit the last word out.

"It's nice to meet you also, Emi-san." Sakura smiled sweetly. If she was nervous, it didn't show.

"Oh, don't bother with the formality. I may be an Uchiha, but I'm not stuffy! Got out when I could!" She laughed loudly as she walked back to her desk. "Call me Mi-chan, everyone does."

Itachi shifted from one foot to another, wishing, not for the first time, that he'd been sent on a simple assassination mission.

"You look appropriately nervous, Itachi." Emi smiled at him from the desk where she'd resumed her perch on a high stool. "Don't worry, I won't embarrass you in front of your new wife."

Too late. "Thank you Oba-san."

Emi pursed her lips and made a terrible sound. "You're not a child anymore Ita-chan! Call me Mi-chan!"

Sakura smiled at him, quirking an eyebrow.

"Certainly." He paused as he collected his thoughts. "Lady Tsunade said she'd made arrangements for us..."

"Why would your Hokage make arrangements for your honeymoon?" Emi wrinkled her brow. "It was Mikoto I spoke to."

Of course, Tsunade wouldn't blow their cover like that and his mother had probably jumped at the chance to get involved. He smiled while he worked through the story they'd built.

"I'm the Hokage's apprentice. We've both been so busy with missions and work," Sakura's sweet voice was his salvation, "when we finally got a chance to enjoy a honeymoon I'm afraid we left it in other hands. We weren't sure who had taken care of it."

Itachi stared in wonder at Sakura's easy lie. She was amazing.

Emi nodded, accepting the explanation. "The Hokage's apprentice? One of the legendary Sannin? You certainly set your sights high didn't you Itachi-kun?"

What was his mother was up to? Why had she chosen Emi's inn? But Emi was right. If he was going to choose a woman for himself it would be Sakura. She was everything he'd ever wanted in a woman. The question that remained was, did she want him?