Chapter 1

Itachi

It wasn't often that Itachi Uchiha was allowed to sleep past sunrise and he relished the warmth of the sunshine on his face as it streamed through the window before he had to throw back the covers and face the day. And his mother.

Their breakfast date was the reason he'd gotten to sleep in and he wasn't sure that was a good thing. Clan business occasionally trumped ANBU work and, it seemed, today was one of those days.

His mother was a gentle, pleasant woman to spend time with. Since Fugaku had died in the failed Uchiha coup Mikoto had taken over clan duties with Uncle Daisuke, her brother and Shisui's father, until such time as Itachi could take leadership himself. Itachi suspected that's what they wanted to talk about today.

And that was what worried him.

He'd been thirteen when the coup had failed, not nearly old enough to fill his father's shoes. The minimum age for a clan leader, according to the by-laws, was twenty-five.

Unfortunately, being twenty-five wasn't the only requirement. And that was what had kept him up late into the night as he speculated what his mother and uncle had planned for him.

He had plans for his life. He had a successful career in the ANBU and he wanted to take a bigger role in the village leadership. He wanted to be a jonin leader, something his ANBU work made impossible. And he wanted to join Akane Morino, Ibiki's younger sister as she worked with the Foundation members who had stayed when Danzo fled the village. Since the members, previously under Danzo's control, had figured out how to break their curse marks, they'd turned out to be some of the bravest shinobi he'd ever met. He dreamed of creating a bipartisan force made up of Sharingan users and Foundation members. With his leadership they'd be unstoppable.

Unfortunately, his mother's complaints would be unstoppable too, if he was late. With that thought in mind he slipped on his flack vest and headed for the door. He'd be going right to work when breakfast was done.

He hoped.

"You're early to work, Sakura-san."

"Good morning Hanako. I need to finish early today. I have a luncheon I have to attend." Sakura smiled at the pretty redhead who answered phones and greeted people for the hospital.

Sakura had seen Hanako being yelled and sworn at while she sat quietly explaining the rules of the hospital. Only once had Sakura seen an officer from the Konoha police force have to step in and take an abusive patron away in chakra cuffs. She imagined the sweet woman got the same treatment on the phone and yet she never let it change the way she treated the next person.

"No rest for the weary, right Sakura-san?" She grinned back at her and winked. "Don't get so wrapped up in files that you forget to drink your coffee while it's warm. Who's the luncheon with?"

"Mikoto Uchiha and Lady Tsunade have their monthly meeting today. Tsunade asked me to attend." Sakura adjusted the files she was holding, balancing her coffee on the counter between them.

A ringing phone drew Hanako's attention. She winked at Sakura as she picked reached for it. "Have a good day!"

Sakura waved over her shoulder as she headed for her office. First she'd do rounds and then she'd work on the files, and then she'd worry about the luncheon. But by the time she reached her office, she was lost in thought wondering what reason Tsunade could have for including her in today's luncheon.

Sakura and her mentor had discussed ways they could integrate the Uchiha clan and the village more. Based on her own interaction with some of her Uchiha patients she didn't think the Uchiha's were ready. She was likely to be close to Tsunade's age before they let go of their concerns of inferiority. Especially if her former teammate Sasuke was any indication.