Chapter 22 | Ellies Father

"Speaking" 'Thinking'

Izuku walked along the tracks until he came across the large railyard, he noticed a few bags set around. He quickly headed to the train, the little girl's hand in his, she stumbled alongside his awkward running.

He quickly climbed into the train, having the little girl stay at the bottom of the ladder just in case. As he slipped inside, slamming the door to the side, all his worries disappeared as he found Mai sitting in the booth he'd taken over reading a book.

The two stared at each other for a while, Mai in complete and utter shock that he was still alive, and Izuku similarly pleased that Mai was still unharmed. 

"H- how the he-

"Zuri! What's inside?" A little voice called out from outside of the train. Mai stopped talking, her expression darkening as she looked out the window. 

"Did you kidnap a fucking child!" Mai shouted as she stood up and stomped her way toward him. All he could do was shake his head as she pushed past him to find the black haired, red eyed, little girl.

"Ah..., Zuri?" She spoke in confusion at the sight of someone other than Izuku.

-

Izuku sat in the booth holding onto the little girl that sat in his lap unmoving. The two girl's stared at one another, one with annoyance, and the other with curiosity. Mai just so happened to be the curious one. The little girl was stationed on Izuku's lap with a glare in her eyes, she seemed unhappy at the fact it wasn't just her and Izuku.

"Angel! Who is this?" The little girl whined. Izuku looked the other way, not even going to try. Mai on the other hand looked at the little girl with curious eyes.

"How come this kid looks so comfortable around you? And your name's Zuri? I thought it wa-" Izuku's eyes narrowed, shaking his head. Mai watched the situation and groaned.

"Whatever..., Zuri..., that man that was at the bookstore..., it was him wasn't it?" Mai asked him. Izuku looked at her than to the kid and nodded.

"Damnit..., he came back to scout out the place after I'd locked both doors..., I didn't want to take any chances, I even had dad come and pick me up..." Mai told him. Izuku looked down at the little girl, his eyes softening slightly, he couldn't forget that anger he felt.

"The bad man?" The little girl looked up at him, Izuku nodded down to her. The little girl looked at Mai in fear. "The bad man hurt Zuri, he tried to hurt me, but Zuri got to him first!" The little girl spoke proudly. "But..., Zuri got really hurt..., I thought Angel wasn't coming back..." The little girl told Mai.

Mai looked at him in worry, Izuku simply looked away. Not even he knew what happened, he was pretty sure everyone thought he was dead..., he didn't even know how many days he was out, or if it even was days.

Mai sighed and looked at both him and the little girl. "Hey kid, what's your name?" Mai asked her. Izuku looked down at the little girl as well, he hadn't even thought about asking for her name, mostly because he couldn't even speak.

"Ah..., my name's Ellie." She told them. Izuku nodded, meanwhile Mai's face reddened slightly. Originally, she always looked at kids with disgust and annoyance, they were always so mean and annoying to be around, but Ellie looked so cute despite having fairly usual features aside from her red eyes.

"Ahem..., Ellie, how did you end up with the little creep behind you?" She asked her, Izuku's eyes fell onto Ellie as well, ignoring Mai's rude comment.

"Ah..., d- daddy kicked me out again..." Ellie told them, looking away anxiously. Izuku's eyes twitched at the mention of 'again'. For some reason, anything Ellie said could stir up emotions he didn't even know he could feel. Like the extreme anger he'd felt before.

In a way, it was nice to know he was still somewhat similar to other people, although, in another way, he's grateful he can no longer feel pain. The thoughts he was having made him wonder if that side was a gift or simply a mistake. He wondered about that often. He was a very clumsy person, it would have been difficult if he could still feel pain.

That wasn't his current thinking though, he was more so grateful that he couldn't feel pain, because all he can think about at this point is hunting Ellies father and gutting him like a fish.

"Z- Zuri..., that hurts..." Ellie spoke, struggling against his hold, he looked down at her and loosened his grip. Slowly nodding and drawing the Kanji for 'sorry' on her palm. She smiled up at him.

Mai sighed and shook her head, noticing his change in expression despite him hiding it pretty well. She'd been working with him for a while now, although annoyingly difficult, she'd managed to map out his subtle changes. He probably didn't even know he made them.

"So your dad left you outside knowing villains wander around at night?" Mai questioned. Ellie looked away, biting her lip as if trying to keep herself quiet.

"Daddy..., is a villain..." Ellie hid her face in Izuku's chest, not wanting to talk about him anymore. Izuku glanced toward Mai and she groaned before letting it go.

"Anyway Zuri, how do you feel about going to your funeral?" Mai spoke with a wide grin. Ellie flinched in his arms and slowly looked up at him.

"Z- Zuri's dead?" Ellie asked him.

"Yup! He's way~ dead. He's come back to do some morally gray stuff and survive off of energy drinks and chiyo puffs." Mai smirked at his unimpressed look.

"Zuri's dead..., what does..., morally gray mean?" Ellie looked up at him. Izuku could only look away awkwardly, what she said was kind of true, he did beat a man half to death not too long ago. He also couldn't help but wonder if there would be a funeral after he'd suddenly gotten back up and left the morgue. They definitely have cameras in a place like that, so it's likely that the police would still be looking for him right?

"Ellie, you remember what Zuri did to the man that tried to hurt you?" Mai asked her. Ellie reluctantly nodded.

"Well, kind of like that, except maybe a little less violent?" She spoke. Izuku did not like whatever Mai was signing him up for. He shook his head, trying to get her to stop, but by the wide-eyed, happy looking expression that fell onto Ellie's face, it felt like his heart suddenly started beating backwards. (Essentially, getting a new rhythm, which in another way could potentially kill him?)