Chapter 21 | Zuri?

"Speaking" 'Thinking'

Izuku walked block after block, traveling along the sidewalk, very few people payed him any attention. So, taking advantage of the people averting their eyes at his disfigurements, he sat down on a bench, looking up at the sky and sighing in annoyance. The stars were out, just the other day it was raining heavily and the cloud cover hid the sky entirely, not even the moon poked out from behind them. 

Now though, the sky was clear, the moon shined brightly over the unfamiliar city. Everything around him felt unclear, felt confusing to even look at, the roads twisted and intertwined with one another, it was like he was in a completely different city than he nearly died in. He just wanted to hide in the train, sleep the rest of his life away and simply read. He couldn't help but wonder if Mai was alright. The realization dawned on him and he stood up. He inwardly sighed as his hand instinctively came up and scratched at the stitches, for the few minutes he no longer had stitches in, he'd become used to it not pulling, but now as he moved his mouth the wires pulled and kept his mouth in place, making him even unable to form a small smile like he'd been able to do before.

He kept walking, ignoring passerby's all the way until he found a place that looked somewhat familiar, he'd been walking for over three hours at this point, but his body wasn't even shaking.

Izuku hurriedly walked toward the old bookstore, looking in through the window and noticing that it was unfortunately closed, nothing seemed broken or out of the ordinary, Izuku tried the handle and breathed in relief. Mai wasn't inside, which meant that bastard wasn't here either. There was still a chance he'd get to her though, if something like that did happen, even if Izuku couldn't feel much, he'd for sure feel hatred toward himself for allowing something like that to happen, for hesitating and allowing the man to get away.

Izuku's mind was a lot calmer about this stuff than it had been before. He'd always been disgusted at the thought of killing someone..., or at least, before he had been, now..., he's not sure what he felt, especially after that man attacked a little girl of all people.

Izuku left the front entrance of the bookstore and steadily made his way back to the woods, the streetlamps were on, Izuku crept toward the playground, his heart speeding for some reason. This was where he'd been before finding them. Just down that alley, it was where he may have 'died'. Technically..., where 'Izuku' died. It would probably be all over the news if they ignore the fact that his body up and disappeared all of a sudden.

Something collapsed into his legs and nearly made him fall over, he glanced down and found a teary eyed little girl with dark jet black hair and deep red eyes. Her eyes were wide at the sight of him.

"Angel! I knew you wouldn't die..." The little girl cried. Izuku looked around for her parents, but no one was around, it was only her. Izuku knelt down and picked her up, she wasn't in the least bit startled by his disfigurements, he couldn't cover them because the scarf Mihori had given him disappeared, it wasn't in the bin at the mortuary.

He held the little girl close to his chest as she cried. She was shaking visibly, understandably after what had happened..., he just hoped she didn't have to see him like that..., the way he'd ended up, it probably wasn't a pretty sight, he'd gone blind before he even had the chance to really understand what was happening.

"Angel! Please don't leave me! I don't want you to die." The little girl cried as she looked up at him. Izuku nodded, his face unchanging, it didn't deter her though, his disgusting features.., the scars left behind from that time and from what he'd done to his lips. The stitches were originally there to help him, to make sure he didn't hurt himself further, yet all he did was get himself more injured with them.

Izuku breathed out through his nose, sounding like a sigh. He looked around once more and simply decided what he was going to do next. So, he slowly started to walk the block back to his trail, there wasn't really a trail anymore, in fact, he didn't even take the same route every time in fear the grass would start thinning and expose him.

"Angel? Where are we going?" The little girl asked him. Izuku pointed into the woods as they walked down the sidewalk. "Does Angel live there?" She asked him. Izuku nodded once more. Her small head fell into his chest as she sighed, holding onto him tightly.

"Angel's taking me with him?" She asked, Izuku looked down at her, grabbing her palm and drawing small letters on it. "Zu..ri, Zuri?" She asked. Izuku nodded down at her, not really bothering to correct her. His eyes narrowed slightly as he looked around. He kept feeling like he was being watched, he wasn't sure why though, normally this only happened when he knew there were eyes on him.

Izuku ducked behind a tree and noticed that the feeling was gone, his senses must have increased as well..., it was weird, he should be dead, yet all these things have happened to his body again. 

Izuku hurried into the woods, the eyes of the person not being able to keep up as Izuku skillfully ran through the woods toward his hide out. The little girl was holding onto him tightly as he ran, his legs were faster this time around, even if he were walking, he'd probably get to the railyard quicker.

Izuku placed a hand on the little girl's head as he carried her through the woods, his breathing was slightly heavy, so it was obvious his body wasn't completely immune to all the running. He slowed down and looked around, the eyes were gone, no one was pursuing him, they probably expected him to come out of the woods at some point, but what they didn't know was that he lived deep inside.

Izuku placed the little girl onto the ground, walking slowly beside her as they reached the set of tracks with the large ivy covered vines along it, the graffiti he was grateful to see. The two walked slowly, Izuku thankful that he was able to lose them and that the little girl was once again safe, even if it wasn't him protecting her, he hoped that he'd be able to find someone good enough to look after her, she was always wandering around at night, it worried him despite him not even being able to feel worried.