Winds of Change

Onyx laughed as she zoomed over the Endless Sea on her elemental dragon, the others flying beside her. A local fishing village had called them out to capture a mutant fangfish that had been attacking the residents and completely throwing off the ecosystem. The town was like Stiix, but without everything that made Stiix a terrible place to live.

Lloyd laughed as Kai shot ahead of him. "Getting ahead of yourself, Kai? Heh. I'm leading this charge!" He called. "Aah!" Kai yelped as Lloyd splashed him with water. "That's one way to cool off a hothead!" Jay called. Onyx flipped her dragon upside down and flew over Kai, smacking him in the back of the head. She snickered and flipped upright, settling her dragon next to Lloyd's. "Hey, no one messes up my hair!" Kai called, swatting water at them, which Onyx and Lloyd barely managed to duck, putting Zane in the line of fire.

Zane coughed, spitting water out of his mouth. "You okay there, Zane?" Cole called, smiling. Zane nodded. "Affirmative. It'll take more than a little water to take me out!" He said. "Oh, what about a big fish? Incoming!" Jay shouted. Zane yelped as the fish lunged for him, barely missing. "There he blows!" Cole shouted. "Thar be the white whale!" Onyx supported. "Pixal says this is the one," Zane confirmed. Lloyd nodded as the fish began to chase them. "And now that he's taken the bait, let's reel him in and get him to the aquarium," he said.

"Let me guess, Kai. You caught one that big once?" Jay asked. "Heck no. He was twice the size. Whoa!" He yelped as the fangfish leapt at him. "He's almost as hungry as you, Cole," Jay teased. "And twice as ugly as you, Jay," Cole barbed. Onyx smiled. It was nice to see them bantering with one another again.

"It's time for the catch of the day. In line formation!" Lloyd called, dropping low. Onyx slipped in behind him, her dragon nearly touching his dragon's tail. The rest of the ninja quickly followed suit. "Cole, report?" Onyx called. "It's right behind us!" He answered. Lloyd narrowed his eyes, heading for a boat and waiting for the right moment. Then, when he heard a slight break in the water, he veered to the side. "Now!" He ordered.

The ninja broke formation as the fish lunged at them, causing it to fly past and land on the deck of a fishing rig. The sailors groaned as they waved at the ninja. "Now that's what I call hook, line, and stinker!" Jay joked, getting a laugh out of only Onyx. "Oh come on! Onyx thought it was funny!" Jay exclaimed. Kai rolled his eyes. "You two have a terrible sense of humor," he said.

(=^・ェ・^=)(=^・ェ・^=)(=^・ェ・^=)(=^・ェ・^=)

Onyx whistled as she watched the fangfish be lowered slowly into a large tank. It was much bigger than she'd originally thought. She glanced over at Kai and Lloyd, who had drifted off to the side. Judging by the look on Lloyd's face, he was worrying about himself and his father again. He'd spoken of his insecurities to Onyx before, and she'd done her best to comfort him.

Onyx was yanked from her thoughts as a wave of water suddenly splashed over her as the fangfish was literally dropped into the tank. Jay gasped suddenly. "Ooh, guys, we should take a picture!" He exclaimed. "I can do that for ya'." The crane operator offered. Jay nodded and passed him his phone. "Yeah!" He turned to Kai and Lloyd. "Hey, you two gonna get in the picture? No one's gonna believe this. Getting a picture. This is awesome!" He was babbling, he was so excited.

Onyx gave Lloyd a gentle glance as he joined her. "Are you okay?" He asked. He gave a tiny smile and nodded. "You know what? Yeah. I'm okay," he said. Onyx smiled at him. He was still hurting, but he was beginning to move on.

"Back. Back just a little further. Just a little further," Zane directed the operator, who followed directions. Lloyd put an arm around Onyx for the photograph, only for the operator to scream and fall off the dock. A burst of anxiety went through Onyx before she remembered that there wasn't strangleweed in the waters here. Still, she leaned over the edge of the dock. "Hehe, you guys!" The operator laughed, tossing Jay his phone back. He checked the photo, only to find a blurry one of the sky. "Oh, great! Who's gonna believe us now?" He whined.