Chapter 46: Clash of Two Armies

Kara:

"Daddy," I repeat. I look closer at the little girl. The girl can't be more than six, maybe seven years old. She has long black hair and wears a pink shirt and blue jeans. She also wastes no time and throws another rock at me.

The rock bounces off my head before falling to the ground.

"Daddy," I repeat. I look at the thug I'm holding in my hand.

"Michelle," the thug yells. "Get out of here! Now! Go! Run!"

"No," the girl, apparently named Michelle, yells back. "I'm not leaving you!"

Michelle picks up another rock and throws it at me. This time, I drop both the man and Lady Shiva and catch the rock. The second his feet touch the ground, the man runs over to the little girl.

"What are you doing here," he yells, "This isn't safe! Go home! Now!"

The man turns around and looks at me. He reaches behind and pulls out a pistol.

"Stay back!"

"Hey, hey, hey," I say, putting up my hands. "I don't want to hurt you!"

I step back while holding up my hands.

"You don't want to hurt us," the man repeats, still holding his gun at me. "No! No, that's true! You don't want to hurt us! You don't want to have anything to do with us! That's why you left us all alone to die!"

"What are you talking about?"

"You left us," the man repeats, shaking his gun. "You left us all alone to die. We didn't have anyone. We couldn't do anything to keep ourselves safe. It was just us. All of us. Left alone." But Black Mask came! He came and he offered us everything!"

"Again," I say, "I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not Superman. I'm not one of his regimes or with his One Earth Government. I'm a part of the Insurgency--"

"None of that matter," the man screams, cutting me off. "One Earth Government! Insurgency! None of that matters! What matters the most to me is protecting my daughter! And I will do anything to protect her!"

As the man shouts this, his daughter hugs him.

"Daddy," Michelle whispers.

"Michelle," the father says. "Quickly! Get behind me!"

Hearing this, Michelle runs behind her dad. Despite hiding behind her dad, she still peeks out and looks at me.

I don't know what to do. Everything inside of me is telling me not to hurt the man or his child. He's pointing a gun at me but even he had to know it won't do anything against me. All I can do is just stand there with my hands in the air.

As I stand there, however, the ground starts shaking. It shakes violently, causing everyone to lose their footing. Dropping to my knees and placing my hands on the ground, I look around and see bright lights coming from behind some nearby buildings.

"Black Mask," I think. "Whatever he's doing must be causing all of this! I have to stop him!"

I push myself up and am about to launch myself into the air when I hear the cry of a little girl. Turning, I see Michelle on the ground. Her father drops his gun and quickly picks her up. Not wasting a second, Lady Shiva picks up the gun and aims it at me.

"Go," she shouts, the gun pointing at me but Lady Shiva looking at the father and his daughter. "Get back to the others!"

"Thank you," the father says before he runs off with his daughter.