Chapter 4: Steady Hands

Dinah Lance:

"Well, in case anyone is curious," Leonard says as he pushes against the infirmary's doors. "The doors are locked. We can't get in."

"Back away," I say, pushing Leonard out of the way. Taking a breath, I'm about to scream when Jaime stops me. He gets in between me and the infirmary's doors.

"No," he shouts while shaking his head. "Dinah. Please don't."

"Jaime," I say, "Get out of the way."

"No. Dinah, I don't think The Man would be too happy if you go breaking down his doors."

"Yeah," Harleen says, joining in. "I kind of agree with Bug Boy on this."

"Who cares," I say with all eyes on me.

"Who cares," I repeat, staring right back at all of them. "Enough with the secret. Enough with the half-truth and surprise! Enough with all of it! My husband is in there dying and I want to be by his side! Jaime, I'm only going to give you one last chance. Get out of my way!"

Jaime refuses my warning. He holds out his arms and shields the doors. When I see this, I take a deep breath.

"Dinah," Harleen says, running and getting in front of Jaime. She too spreads out her hands. "No!"

"Don't do it," Selina begs.

"Dinah," Supergirl yells.

A second from using my canary cry and blasting the doors off their hinges, I only stop when the doors open and The Man walks out.

The Man isn't wearing his vest with a dozen pockets anymore. Now, he's wearing what looks like one of the uniforms doctors wear when they perform an operation. Also, he's not the only one wearing those uniforms. Scarecrow and Iris are wearing the same uniform. All three of them even have gloves and masks on.

"I know I'm going to regret this," The Man says, pulling his face mask down. "But what the heck is going on here?"

I push Harleen and Jaime out of the way and walk right up to The Man.

"Take me to Oliver," I demand. "Or I will break down your doors!"

"Believe me," Harleen says after getting back to her with help from Leonard and Ivy. "She will."

"Again," The Man says, looking at me. "I tend to work better without a crowd."

"One person is not a crowd," I say with crossed arms. "And besides. What about them?"

I point to Scarecrow and Iris.

"The Doc and Iris aren't a part of the crowd," The Man answers. "They're my assistant."

"Your assistant," Reverse-Flash repeats. "Why do Scarecrow and Flash's ex-wife know about total organ failure?"

"Dr. Crane," Scarecrow yells. "It's Dr. Crane, not Scarecrow! Why can none of you remember?"

"Not now, Doc," The Man says, turning his head to Scarecrow before turning it back to me. "Listen. I get it. You want to be there with Oliver. I know that feeling, but I can't let you go in there."

When I hear this, I inhale, preparing to use my canary cry. However, The Man stops me once more. He puts up his hand.

"But I do have an alternative," he says. He grumbles as he pulls off his gloves. "I'd hate to waste a pair of gloves so Dinah, please remember this. You owe me 70 cents."

With that, I throw the gloves into a trash bin in the infirmary before leading everyone down the hallway.

Barry Allen: