Chapter 20: Ally and Enemy

The Man:

With the final tube interjected into Oliver's arm, I close the incubator and type the command code into the control pad. Oliver starts to slowly drift off, a few seconds later falling gently back.

"Are you sure about this," the Doc asks. He, along with Iris and Diana are standing directly behind me.

"No," I answer with a sigh and a shake of my head. "No, I am not."

Despite not facing them, I can still hear Diana's gasps.

"Oliver's organs are fine," I start. "At least, as fine as they can be given the circumstances. It's the other side effects I'm worried about."

"Other side effects," Iris repeats. "What other side effects?"

"According to what I've read in books and The Man's personal notebooks," the Doc says, "Some side effects of surgery are fatigue, appetite loss, pain, bruising, swellings, and a few other things."

"I'm not referring to those side effects," I say. "Those I can handle. I have years of medical experience with me. I've taken the doctor's exam over 700 times."

"700 times," Iris repeats. "What?"

I shake my head and wave my hand as I explain.

"The first few times I've failed but after 6th times, I pass. Afterward, I retook the exam under a different name and passed. I have 692 medical degrees, each under a different name. And that's only in medicine."

"You have almost 700 medical degrees," the Doc says. "Each under a different name? Why?"

I open my mouth to say something but Diana says something first.

"Can we please get back on Oliver," she asks. I turn around and face her.

"Of course," I say with a nod. I look at the health monitor. "Surprisingly, and thankfully, it seems Oliver's condition is stable. His breathing and heartbeat are steady, and minus a few cuts and bruises from Professor Pyg, he seems completely unharmed. Speaking of Professor Pyg, we need to have a group meeting."

"Go without me," Diana says. She walks up to the incubator and places her hand on it. "I want to stay with Oliver for a bit."

"Actually Diana," I say, placing my hand on her shoulder. "I kind of need you at the meeting. Can you please come with me? The Doc and Iris can stay with Oliver."

Diana doesn't answer at first. She stares at Oliver for a few minutes before nodding her head.

"Sure," she says. While she heads for the door, I turn to Doc and Iris.

"Do not let him out without my permission," I order, pointing a finger at the two. "I do not care how much he begs or pleads. He is staying in there until I say otherwise. Got it?"

"Got it," the Doc and Iris say.

With that done, Diana and I walk out of the infirmary and into the meeting room. There, I see everyone sitting around the table. Everyone except Captain Cold.

"Oh for crying out loud, where the heck is Cold?"

"I told him you wanted to see him," Kara says, "But he told me to fuc--"

I cough and cut Kara off before she can finish.

"Okay, okay, you don't need to finish that sentence. Give me a second."

With two fingers down and two fingers up, I shoot out my hand and cast a spell. I see and hear people gasping as they see a golden cross appear in front of me. I walk into the cross and back out a few seconds later, dragging out Captain Cold.