Chapter 35: Faded

Batman:

Watching from the back as Supergirl screams and throws a bunch of One Earth soldiers off her, I reach into my utility belt and pull out a pair of brass knuckles. Mostly black and grey, these brass knuckles are lined with dark green kryptonite.

Running through the mess of flying soldiers, I pull back my fist before throwing it forward. Supergirl hearing my footsteps turns around just in time for me to punch her across the face. She stumbles back while holding her cheek. Judging from the widened eyes, Supergirl is surprised I can actually hurt her. She looks down and sees my kryptonite brass knuckles.

"Why are you doing this," I shout, stepping forth. "Supergirl. Why are you doing this? Why are you going against the One Earth Government? Against all of us? Against your own cousin, Superman?"

"It's because I remember the truth," Supergirl shouts back. "I remember what really happened."

"What really happened," I repeat. "What is she talking about?"

I think back to only a few minutes ago, just before all of us started attacking Supergirl.

"This isn't right," Supergirl told me. "Remember what really happened. Just think!"

"What really happened," I repeat to myself. "What really happened? What did happened?"

I start to think back to what happened. At least, I try to. As I try to think back to what happened, to everything that led up to this point, all I remember is talking to Supergirl after arresting these two teenagers for spray painting.

"That can't be right," I tell myself. "That can't be right. Why can't I remember anything before that? Wait! Why did I become Batman in the first place? It's...It's because..."

Out of nowhere, it feels like something inside of me snaps, and I see all of these flashes. Something in my head starts to hurt. It's a pain that I don't recognize but at the same time, seems so familiar.

"Thomas...Martha.....Who...Who are you...Ahhh!"

I scream through my teeth and drop onto one of my knees. Slamming my hands against the sides of my head, I fight through the pain.

"Thomas and Martha. I know you. I know who you are! I will remember!"

Fighting through the burning headache, panting through the small gaps in my teeth, I try to remember who Thomas and Martha are. I look up and through some sweat beads, I see Supergirl, no Kara, watching me.

"She's not fighting me," I think. "She's not fighting me! I'm completely defenseless but Kara isn't fighting me. Is it because..."

As I look at Kara, I see someone hovering right behind her. Shooting out his hands, Black Adam fires bolts of lightning right at Kara.

"Watch out," I shout, pushing myself up. Running up to Kara, I grab and push her out of the way. Meanwhile, I spread out my arms.

Supergirl:

"Bruce," I shout, watching as lightning bolts are about to hit Bruce. Pushing myself up, about to take Bruce's place, I stop when I see a bright white light near the horizon. The light looks hundreds and hundreds of miles away but somehow it reaches us in only seconds. I raise my arms to shield myself from the bright light but it's no use. As the bright light reaches all of us, we find ourselves in a white haze.

"What is this," I ask, looking at my hands and arms. They look almost ghostly in the strange haze. As I stare at my ghostly self, I start to see myself with my mother.

"Mom," I cry.

John Constantine:

"Holy hell," I say, lowering my magical glowing hands. As I lower my own hands, I turn and see Ares lowering his own hands. I can only imagine his face mirrors my own. "You sensed it too. Didn't you?"