CHAPTER 24 - A LABYRINTH OF LIES

"What's a girl like you doing in the dark alleys of Blackbridge?" Gaspard asked as he straightened up, a thick accent noticeable in his voice.

He had a handsome face. His thick eyebrows and dark eyes matched his mysterious appearance. Despite casually spinning a dagger between his fingers, he showed a relaxed, almost playful demeanour.

"Believe it or not, but I think I've been searching for you. I have a letter for a man with your name," I explained while sizing him up from head to toe. "You fit the descriptions."

He raised an eyebrow in response, a smirk playing on his lips. "Hmmm, and who sent you with this letter?" he inquired, his hand still idly toying with the hilt of his dagger.

"Do you know Runelda?" I questioned.

"That depends on who's asking." His tone was playful, with a hint of mischief dancing in his eyes. "Tell me, sweetheart, how do you know Runelda?"

"I work for her," I replied, meeting his gaze firmly.

He studied me for a moment before holstering his dagger and extending his hand towards me, indicating that he wanted the letter.

Retrieving the letter from my pocket, I handed it over. With a swift motion, he tore it open and read its contents in silence, his almost flirtatious facade slowly faded from his expression. His jaw tensed as he absorbed the message before he eventually slid the letter into his pocket. "Thank you," he murmured softly.

Curiosity gnawed at me, but I resisted the urge to pry about its contents.

I glanced around. The streets were deserted and shrouded in darkness illuminated only by the moon above.

Leif and Rolf were still nowhere to be seen and an uneasy feeling settled in my stomach. Something must have happened to them, they would never leave me alone on purpose.

"Could you take me back to the clock tower?" I asked Gaspard as I turned my attention back to him.

He nodded in response. "Sure, follow me."

As we navigated through the desolated streets of Blackbridge, it dawned on me just how deep into the heart of the city we were, passing one empty alley after another.

"Thank you," I said as we kept on walking. "You know, for helping me out back there."

Gaspard simply shrugged, his demeanour as enigmatic as ever. "I couldn't just leave a damsel in distress, could I?" he replied as he gave me a wink.

"I guess not," I replied, not knowing what to say more. I didn't want to dwell on the thought of what could have happened if he hadn't arrived when he did. The idea alone made me feel sick to my stomach.

I lifted my gaze back to Gaspard, who was walking ahead of me with confident steps. His long coat fluttered behind him, heightening the enigmatic atmosphere of the haunting streets of Blackbridge. I wondered what he did for his face being featured on a wanted poster. However, it would probably be impolite for a stranger to inquire about his past.

Out of nowhere, Gaspard stopped, causing me to collide with him.

"What–," I began, but paused as he pressed his finger against his lips, signalling for me to remain silent.

Peering past him, I spotted a small group of people gathered in the street ahead. Although I didn't recognize their faces, their attire, adorned with various pieces of fur, identified them unmistakably as skinners.

Gaspard's expression grew serious as he pulled his hood over his face, blending seamlessly with the darkness.

Mimicking his actions, I obscured my own face with my hood, feeling a shiver of apprehension run down my spine.