CHAPTER 18 - TRACES OF HOME

"Excuse me, do you know where I can find this address?"

The woman I approached raised her gaze and briefly glanced at the letter I had clutched in my hand before shaking her head silently.

Disheartened, I sighed and continued to walk down the busy street, hoping to encounter someone who could guide me.

Despite facing what seemed to be a challenge, I embraced the distraction eagerly. From the moment I woke up this morning, my mind has been consumed by thoughts of Egon and the situation with the skinners. I wondered if they already gained more details about the culprits, perhaps even formulating a solution.

The families of the victims also haunted my thoughts. Did they realize their loved ones had been murdered, or were they left in the dark, unaware of their tragic end?

The notion weighed heavily on my heart, and with the empty room I woke up to this morning, I had no one to divert my attention to.

Therefore, I was immensely relieved when Leif appeared at my door this morning, holding the letter in his hand and offering the distraction I was yearning for. He mentioned that it had arrived in Nebelwald during my absence. I instantly knew it was from Nadine as she had assured me she would write once she reached Blackbridge.

She was one of the very few people in Terrassen who possessed the ability to read and write, a skill that was passed down to her through generations. Apparently, some great-great-grandfather of hers was a teacher in his time. Though the skill somewhat diminished with each passing generation, she still managed to compose simple letters like the one clutched in my hand.

I grabbed the skirts of my dress tightly as I navigated my way through the dense crowd of people. The dress was another gift I received from Leif earlier today. Crafted from a simple burgundy fabric, it featured a white blouse tucked neatly under my corset. A black apron was tied around my waist. It was a uniform worn by the maids of Egon's pack.

I was expected to be at Castle Blackbridge later today where I would start with the disguise Egon and I had planned. I was nervous, to say the least. Uncertainty clouded my mind as I pondered what lay ahead. The only thing I knew for certain was that I needed to report to the head of staff upon arrival. Nevertheless, at the moment, I redirected my focus towards locating my best friend.

"Excuse me," I said, my voice tinged with desperation as I approached another woman. She peered at me from beneath her high hat, and relief washed over me as I realized she was human. "Do you know where I can find this address?" I asked, showing her the letter.

"Ah yes, Eldritch Passage. It's not far from here," the woman replied, pointing towards a clock tower that loomed above the buildings in the distance. "Just walk until you reach the clock tower, then take the street to the right."

With a grateful nod, I thanked the woman and made my way towards the towering landmark.

Blackbridge was a labyrinth of narrow streets and towering structures, each one seeming to lean ominously over the cobblestone roads. It was one of the largest cities in the south of the continent, and its size was evident in the crowded streets and tightly clustered buildings.

Despite the bustling crowds and the chaos, I chose to stick to the main street. I preferred the busy street over the dark and gloomy alleyways that lurked nearby.

Though primarily inhabited by humans, Blackbridge was also home to shifters. While I slowly became more open-minded towards them, I still hesitated to wander into the dimly lit alleys where they might lurk. Fortunately, Leif had assured me that he or Rolf would always remain close by, even if I couldn't see them.