CHAPTER 15 - BETWEEN ICE AND FIRE

The expanse of the snow-covered mountainous landscape surrounded us in every direction. It was a breathtaking sight, despite its desolate nature. We'd been travelling for a couple of hours and there was still no sign of any animals, not even a glimpse of a bird. However, the reason for this might not solely be the cold, Egon's presence could also be a contributing factor.

Upon leaving the Tower of Gesunthian, the Naguals gifted us a horse to use for our journey. Amaranta had to use her calming powers to ensure the horse remained composed enough to approach Egon. Egon had stood there motionless, glaring at the creature with annoyance and muttering about how he missed his own horse.

I looked up at him, in my eyes there was nothing about him that was intimidating. To me, he appeared kind and caring. Nevertheless, it was obvious that he was nearly indestructible. The fact that he was sitting on our horse wearing solely a thin linen blouse, unfazed by the fierce icy wind that raged around us, was proof of it.

The Naguals provided me with a thick, dense dress, entirely lined with sheep's wool. However, the cold outside was too much to handle, despite the layers of clothing I wore. As soon as my teeth began to chatter, Egon immediately gave me his large, heavy fur coat and enveloped me in it to the point where I resembled a walking mountain of clothing.

Initially, I protested, concerned about him getting cold. But when I asked him for the third time how he was feeling, he pressed his hand against my cheek and I could sense its warmth, its heat even surpassed that of my entire body. It was just another perk that came with being a shifter, it seemed.

The howling wind cut through the air, sending gusts of snowflakes swirling around us. Egon's imposing figure provided a protective barrier against the biting cold, shielding me from the harshest blasts of wind. However, when a stray snowflake managed to land on me, Egon promptly brushed it away with his bare hand. I had to restrain myself from rolling my eyes whenever he did this. It seemed rather excessive to fuss over a single snowflake, but recognizing his good intentions, I decided to stay quiet.

Lost in thought, I dwelled on Egon's words from earlier. Apparently, we were travelling towards Blackbridge. Egon had ordered his pack to gather there as he had important matters to discuss with the Lord of Blackbridge. Egon suspects that Blackbridge serves as a central hub for the skinners, and he's eager to handle the situation quickly as their threat to the shifters continues to grow.

Egon informed me that Leif and Rolf would be waiting for us in Blackbridge. He warned me that they might come across as overwhelming, given that, as Gammas, they last saw me in a troubled state. It seems that Leif and Rolf have been under immense stress and are eager to witness my well-being firsthand. It pained me to think of them feeling this way. It felt like my instincts were urging me to reunite with them as soon as possible, to soothe them and restore their peace of mind.

The prospect of meeting Nadine again was another reason I looked forward to going to Blackbridge. Despite not knowing her exact address, I was determined to track her down. While I harbour no reservations about Egon's presence– in fact, I can't fathom being without him anymore, It would feel comforting to be in the company of another human again. To be in a situation where I don't have to be as cautious all the time, would be a welcome relief.

It also brought me immense relief to learn that Egon had moved my father and the others to his kingdom in the north, Amsellhein. He had instructed Hamlin to accompany them, being the only location he deemed trustworthy enough for my family and friend's safety.

Knowing my father was safely sheltered in a distant place eased my worry, especially given the incident in Nebelwald where someone attempted to harm me, whether deliberate or unintentional. Nebelwald was still a place I wished to keep him far from.