CHAPTER 20 - MEETINGS IN THE SHADOWS

When the first light of dawn painted the sky, I entered the castle grounds. My footsteps barely made a sound as I didn't want to attract any unwanted attention.

It was surprisingly easy to gain entry. I merely had to flash my bundle of keys, claiming I was here for work. The guards, preoccupied with more pressing matters than the maids' schedules, let me through without a second thought.

I was relieved that yesterday's inappropriate guard wasn't on duty. The last thing I needed was another round of his vulgar remarks.

Carefully, I made my way to the greenhouses where I had been with Karina the day before. Casting a nervous glance around to confirm I was alone, I quickly stepped inside.

I was awake the whole night. My memories were beginning to flood back to me in vivid images during my dreams. The Naguals had warned me that it would happen, but I didn't expect it to happen so soon, I'd believed I had more time.

Yet, I couldn't allow myself to dwell on them, no matter how haunting they were. I needed to keep my attention fixed on the boy from the camp.

I suspected he was suffering from some sort of digestive issue. I hoped to find some herbs that could alleviate his pain and perhaps even serve as medicine.

In the dim light, I made my way through the aisles of plants. Relief swept over me as I spotted several useful herbs.

Quickly, I collected some wormwood stems and clove buds and placed them carefully in the basket on my arm.

Feeling victorious, I turned to leave but froze in terror when I came face to face with Mrs Percy.

"Well, well, what do we have here?" Her voice dripped with suspicion as she crossed her arms over her chest.

I swallowed hard, my heart racing with fear. "Um, I... I was just..." My voice faltered as I struggled to come up with a plausible excuse.

"Well?" Mrs Percy's tone was sharp. "Are you going to explain yourself? Last I checked, your shift hadn't started yet."

Her eyes drifted downwards, and I made a feeble attempt to shield the basket from her view, however, my efforts proved pointless as her gaze narrowed upon seeing its contents.

"I see," she said icily, "helping yourself to the castle's supplies, are we?"

"No!" I blurted out quickly. "These are not for me."

Mrs Percy's eyebrow arched as she seized my arm in a firm grip. "And for whose benefit are you stealing?"

"For me."

Mrs Percy and I turned our heads in unison at the sound of the unwavering voice.

Lady Blackbridge stood before us, dressed in a morning robe which was draped over her nightdress, her long hair was neatly braided down her back. She exuded confidence as if she had planned to be here all along, though it was obvious that she had just gotten out of bed.

"I asked my maid to fetch these herbs from the greenhouses," Lady Blackbridge stated, her voice just as confident as her demeanour. "I enjoy them in my morning tea, and she didn't mind starting her duties a bit earlier. Or are you now punishing the staff appointed to my father's court for their diligence, Mrs Percy?"

"Apologies, my Lady," Mrs Percy faltered, her grip on my arm loosening as her eyes darted nervously towards Lady Blackbridge. "I was not informed of the arrangement."

"Consider yourself informed now," Lady Blackbridge said firmly. Then, turning to me, she commanded, "Come." With that, she walked away without another word.