CHAPTER 19 - CASTLE BLACKBRIDGE

My nerves began to take over as Karina led me through the winding corridors of the castle. I longed for Egon's touch to ease my anxiety.

I shook my head, quickly forcing myself to think of something else. I slowly began to feel strange whenever Egon crossed my mind. Instead of the usual sensation of bliss, my thoughts about him made it feel like my stomach was in knots. It left me feeling nauseous, and oddly, it brought forth an unexpected wave of sadness.

"Throughout the day, the staff rotate between various tasks," Karina started to explain, interrupting my thoughts. "The kitchen staff begins preparing breakfast, while the maids tidy up the common areas of the castle."

Her tone was cheerful, a stark contrast to the intimidating atmosphere of the castle. The flickering torches created an eerie glow along the walls making our shadows dance in a haunting pattern. However, Karina appeared oblivious to it all, skipping almost cheerfully through the corridors.

"As Mrs Percy has just informed you, your primary responsibility will be attending to Lady Blackbridge's needs," Karina continued. "But if she doesn't require your assistance, you'll be helping the rest of the humans."

Suddenly, Karina turned to me, curiosity gleaming in her eyes. "Speaking of, it's quite unusual to have a human join us omega's, how did you end up working for the Alpha King?" she questioned.

"My father fell ill, and the Alpha King arranged for his transfer to his kingdom for medical treatment. In return, I agreed to serve him," I explained, my voice slightly strained as I repeated the same words I shared with Nadine.

Karina listened attentively, nodding in understanding. "Well, I must say, I'm rather excited to have you join us."

Her kindness brought a smile to my face, perhaps my stay at the castle wouldn't be as bad as I had anticipated.

With a creak, Karina pushed open a door, revealing the gardens I had been in earlier. "Behold, the greenhouses," Karina announced dramatically as she gestured towards the circular structure, entirely made of glass.

I chuckled at her playful demeanour. She started to remind me of Nadine, they'd hit it off for sure.

"Here's where we gather all the fruits, vegetables and herbs for everyone in the castle," Karina explained as we stepped inside.

I was captivated by the diversity of plants, my focus was especially drawn to the variety of flowers and herbs, their intoxicating aromas filling the air. I've never seen so many different plants in one place. I could only dream of owning a greenhouse like this one someday.

"Let's keep going, there's still so much more I need to show you," Karina declared, grasping my hand and leading the way.

Exploring more of the castle grounds, Karina brought me to the stables where dozens of horses and carriages were being stationed. The gardens we encountered next were beautiful, adorned with large fountains that sprayed water in elegant patterns. The area was alive with activity as gardeners tended to the plants, some sculpting hedges into complex designs while others watered the vibrant flowers.

Upon returning indoors, Karina guided me through various chambers. Primarily, they functioned as parlours, but we also encountered a compact library, an armoury, and a chapel.

We proceeded through a narrow tower, descending the staircase towards the kitchens. I had to lift my skirts to avoid tripping over the slippery steps.

"The Alpha King must be quite pleased to have you on his staff," Karina remarked unexpectedly.

I turned to her with a puzzled expression. "How so?"

"Rumour has it, he's been trying to recruit humans for years, but to no avail," Karina replied. "But then again, it's not all that surprising," she continued. "The Alpha King can be quite intimidating. Even for me, a werewolf, his presence is overwhelming. When he's around, I can't help but lower my gaze. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like for you humans."