CHAPTER 22 - PROMISES OF FOREVER

A pitch-black carriage awaited us at the edge of the forest. An elderly man stood beside the open door, his legs trembling slightly as he held his gaze to the ground. The stark difference between the man and Egon's imposing build left me no doubt that the stranger was a human.

The urge to reassure the man, to ease his fears and let him know there was nothing to be afraid of, was strong. However, the necessity to conceal my identity meant I couldn't intervene.

With a heavy heart, I stepped into the carriage, expecting a cramped space but finding instead a surprisingly spacious interior. Despite its dark exterior, the inside featured white wood walls, adorned with gilded edges. Plush cushions adorned the benches on either side, matching the golden trim perfectly.

With effortless grace, Egon joined me inside, causing the carriage to sway slightly under his weight. As he settled across from me, I noticed with amusement that his head barely missed the ceiling, yet he still managed to sit comfortably despite his imposing stature.

As the door closed behind us, the carriage began to move. Looking out the window, I watched as Blackbridge faded into the distance, the imposing city softened by the glow of the full moon.

It was a breathtaking sight, but I couldn't shake the feeling of unease, knowing the darkness that lurked within those walls.

As we moved further away from the city, the town grew smaller in the distance until it disappeared from view entirely.

"Where are we going?" I finally asked, unable to contain my curiosity.

"It's a surprise," Egon replied, yet his tone was tinged with a hint of tension. "But before we arrive there, I need to tell you something else," he suddenly declared.

I could hear the concern in his voice, I was curious what he needed to say.

"Hamlin, your father and the other humans have arrived in Amsellhein," he began.

My heart skipped a beat as he mentioned my father, worry gripping me instantly. "Is everything alright with my father?" I asked, my voice trembling with anxiety.

"Your father is fine," he quickly reassured me. "But there's something else. Hamlin informed me that the human lad went missing on the journey. He slipped away while they were arranging accommodations."

Panic surged through me as I realized who Egon was referring to. "Cyrus," I whispered, dread tightening its grip on my heart. "Where could he have gone?"

Egon took a deep breath before replying, "I'm afraid I don't know. The distance between here and Amsellhein is too vast for me to establish a mind link with Hamlin. He had to send a letter to inform me, I received the news when we arrived in Blackbridge. Hamlin decided to prioritize bringing your father and the other humans to safety first."

My heart sank at the news, and a wave of panic washed over me as I pondered over the potential whereabouts of Cyrus. Every scenario that crossed my mind sent a shiver down my spine, offering no solace whatsoever. Tears welled up in my eyes as I imagined the numerous threats that Cyrus might face alone, whether it be from shifters, rogues, or even bandits.

"Why would he run away? What if something happens to him?" I choked out, my voice trembling with fear.

Egon gently cupped my face in his hands, wiping away my tears with his thumbs. "I don't know, but I've already instructed Hamlin to search for him. I promise you, we'll find him," he assured me, his voice filled with determination.

I nodded, tears still streaming down my cheeks as I struggled to understand Cyrus's motives.

"Can you tell me who he is?" Egon asked, his voice gentle.