09. Never Have I Ever

||Lexie's P

||Lexie's P.O.V.||

"Psst."

I heard someone from over my shoulder. I was hanging out in the outskirts of the woods surrounding the school. Cecilia was driving me crazy in Spanish, so I chose to play hooky to get out of the rest of that specific class. Ms. Sanchez was a bit of a germophobe, so it didn't take much convincing on my part to have her dismiss me.

"Lex," a voice called out from behind a tree.

I spun around and approached the voice, coming face to face with Spicer.

"Hey, Spicer," I greeted him, leaning against the tree. "What brings you to the woods?"

He chuckled. "I'm meeting up with a couple of friends down at the res."

"Ditching the rest of the day then?" I asked, quirking a brow.

"Yep." He pulled something out of his pocket and held out his hand. "Here."

When I realized it was a couple of joints, I graciously accepted it. Who was I to turn down free weed?

Just as I was opening my mouth to speak, he said, "It's on the house," before he winked.

"Thanks." I beamed at him.

As if on cue, I saw a truck pull up through the trees.

"That's my ride. See ya around," Spicer waved before he sprinted away, leaving me all by lonesome.

I always found peace in the woods, which was why I was in no hurry to get to my next class— Art. Don't get me wrong— It was definitely my favorite class, but none of my friends were in it. Edward was the only person I have so much as spoken to in that class, but I had a feeling he didn't exactly consider me a 'friend'. It didn't help matters that Tristan was in that class. So, safe to say, I would much rather prefer to stay in the woods.

I found myself walking further into the woods, veering off the worn-down path and making my way towards a small clearing. There was a fallen tree that made a perfect make-shift bench that I was quick to sit on. The only sounds I could make out were the birds singing overhead and the occasional rustle of leaves. As I was digging through my bag for a lighter, an eerie silence washed over me. The birds had stopped singing; the squirrels no longer scampered. It was simply... silent. Goosebumps erupted all over my body.

All of a sudden, I got the feeling that I was being watched. I shivered involuntarily as I stood up from the log and took a hesitant step before I grabbed a large branch and held it up as a weapon, bracing for whatever may be behind the tree.

When I came face to face with Edward, a startled scream flew through my lips. I fought against every impulse not to hit the unsuspecting boy upside the head due to my adrenaline.

"You scared the hell out of me!" I exclaimed, placing my hands on my knees and leaning over to catch my breath. "And you almost got whacked!"

"Sorry." He offered me a sheepish smile, chuckling softly.