14. Vampire Boy

His jaw went slack, a look of horror falling over his face

His jaw went slack, a look of horror falling over his face. I watched as his eyes grew to the size of saucers, peering into mine with curiosity and intent. He visibly gulped, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down as he tore his gaze from mine and stared straight ahead at nothing in particular. I was on pins and needles as I waited for a response to the question that I believed I already had an answer to.

"Well?" I was growing impatient.

He licked his lips in a nervous manner, drawing my gaze as he hesitantly locked eyes with me. His eyes were hooded, fire flickering in their depths.

"Do you think I am?" He asked in a mere whisper.

I studied his face with scrutinizing intensity. "I'm asking, aren't I?"

He pressed his lips into a thin line, his eyes burning a hole straight through me. "What if I am?"

I shivered involuntarily at the sound of his deep, velvet voice before shrugging. "Then you are."

His eyes narrowed into slits before asking, "Would you be afraid?"

That was simple enough to answer. Slowly shaking my head, I said, "Do I seem afraid to you?"

"No," he stated dully, his expression blank.

"Well, there you have it." I shrugged once more, arching a brow. "So, are you?"

He placed his hands in his pockets and leaned against the tree, staring at me with a burning intensity that had my stomach doing somersaults. When he said nothing, I knew.

"You are," I breathed out in a whisper, my heart skipping a beat as reality sank in.

I was standing in the middle of the woods with a vampire. Alone. Any sane person would be terrified, but I was anything but. I felt perfectly at ease in his presence aside from the giant butterflies fluttering about in the pit of my belly.

Still, he said nothing. He just continued to stare at me with a strange expression- He was looking at me as though at any second, I was going to disappear into thin air. It was then that I realized- He was the one afraid.

"Your secret is safe with me, you know," I assured him. "I won't tell anyone."

He nodded once, his jaw clenched as he studied me with scrutiny, as though he was looking for any cracks in my foundation. I leaned against a tree in a casual manner, folding my arms across my chest and quirking a brow at him.

"So... Vampire Boy," I breathed out, flashing him a smile that wavered when he visibly flinched. "You're super strong and fast as hell. And you can pick up on a conversation across the room. That's... pretty cool."

His frown deepened, eyes glinting dangerously as he spoke in a low, chilling voice, "I can hear your heartbeat right now."

As if on cue, my heart skipped my beat. My eyes widened in surprise, taken aback. "...Really?" I shrugged one shoulder and said, "So, you can hear even better than I thought. Impressive."