07. Recipe For Disaster

||Lexie's P

||Lexie's P.O.V.||

As I walked into my dad's house with a duffel bag thrown over my shoulder, the smell of Febreze filled my nostrils, causing a wave of nostalgia to wash over me. Growing up, his home always smelled of Febreze and fresh laundry. My father was a busy man, so he had a cleaning service come out twice a week to keep the house tidy and they always did an excellent job.

"Lexie!" The sound of my dad's voice came from over my shoulder.

I spun around before he enveloped me in a giant bear hug, lifting my feet off the ground.

"Hey, dad," I chuckled, hugging him back.

When he released me, he eyed my duffel bag. "Is this all you brought?"

"No. I have several boxes in the car that I'll bring up later."

He nodded. "Alright. Well, if you need anything, just me know. I've got to cover an emergency shift at the hospital, so I gotta run."

"Alright. Be careful," I said to him as he shrugged into his jacket.

"Also, I have a dinner coming up with a few colleagues that I'd like you to attend." He flashed me one of his famous smiles.

"Name the time and place." I smiled back with just as much enthusiasm.

He kissed the top of my head before opening the front door. "I knew you'd be up for it. Oh, and Lex-"

I quirked a brow, waiting for him to continue.

"I'm glad you're here," he spoke softly, flashing me another grin.

"Me too," I responded, feeling like a weight was lifted off my chest.

And with that, he closed the door, leaving me to my own defenses in the extravagant home.

***

||Edward's P.O.V.||

As I was walking into A&P, I was surprised to see Mr. Carr already sitting at his desk. He looked up from the stack of papers he was grading and gestured for me to approach his desk.

"Edward. I've been wanting to speak with you," he said to me.

"What about, sir?"

So polite. "How would you feel about becoming a peer tutor?"

Oh, God. His thoughts were wistful as he awaited my answer.

"I'd really prefer not to, sir. I have a lot on my plate right now," I explained to him, hoping he wouldn't press the issue.

An image of Alexandria flitted through his mind, taking me by surprise. It was a memory- She was much younger; her eyes held an innocence to them that she no longer possessed. In the memory, it became apparent that she was at the top of her class. I picked through his mind and determined that he was her previous teacher in Freshman year, so he was well aware of her potential. She had been the top student years prior. I could see how worried he was about her. He was a close friend of her father's and hated the fact that she was allowing herself to slip through the cracks.