Part 7

You're awaken by a loud crash downstairs and some loud cursing. With a groan, you open your eyes and stretch. There's a lot of noise happening that forces you to get up and investigate.

You quietly head downstairs, noticing a pile of broken glass near the door and Lauren's sweater next to the pile.

'Careful!' you hear from behind and you turn around. 'I accidentally broke the vase. I hope it wasn't special?' She asks groggily, makeup smeared and hair mussed.

'It's not,' you say quietly. You watch her move around and clean up the glass, kick her sweater aside. 'How are you feeling?' You can't help that your voice is a little tight.

She doesn't answer for a long time and you think she might be ignoring you. But then she sighs, doesn't look at you. 'I feel like shit,' she mutters and you agree.

'You look like shit, too,' you tell her and she laughs humorlessly.

'Thanks.' and it's quiet again. You follow her to the kitchen, footsteps quiet. 'I'm sorry,' she says, finally looking at you.

You look at her, eyebrows furrowed. She sighs and adds, 'I acted inappropriately. I shouldn't have. I just... miss my friend and my old life.'

You bite your lip and nod, 'it's okay. I understand.'

She smiles albeit small. 'Care for some breakfast?'

'Yeah, but I'll make it.' She gives you an are-you-kidding-me look. 'I can cook!' You defend yourself, 'and you kind of smell, so go take a shower.' She laughs and agrees, apologizes before heading to the restroom.

You start pulling out the stuff you need when Sofi walks in, rubbing her eyes and yawning. She smiles at you and sits at the table, laying her head down. 'Is Lauren back?'

'Yeah, she's showering,' you tell her, mixing the pancake mix, 'want some pancakes?'

She hums her agreement and watches you, as you try to make shapes and failing. Sofi's laughing softly and then you hear her say good morning. You turn around, see Lauren with wet hair, fresh faced, wearing a thin tank top and small shorts. You turn around to hide your blush.

You won't let anything, any butterflies, get in the way today and so on. You're going to act like a normal person who can control their feelings. You look back at the table, see Sofi talking and Lauren watching her adoringly, and you immediately feel warm.

It's going to take you a little more control than you thought.

----------------------------------------------

The last couple days before your mom and Mike come home are good.

You help Lauren cook sometimes and Sofi helps set the table.

Sometimes you're hit with the thought of this being your own family, being so domestic with Lauren. and usually when that happens, you excuse yourself for a while.

Sometimes you catch Lauren looking at you; at first, she always looked away, but after that, she doesn't. She continues looking, maybe challenging you to do something. You never do; you either look back or away.

Sometimes - once, but you wish more often, Lauren put her hand on your shoulder, squeezed, dragged her hand down your arm slowly, softly, and let her hand linger on your hand. You held your breath the entire time and missed everything she said.

Sometimes...