~14~ Setting Things Straight ~14~

I hope Charlie and Vaggie are doing okay up there. I hope they return safely.

I was very nervous, as last time Charlie spoke with heaven- things didn't end well.

The hotel felt less lively without their presence.
Without everyone's presence, actually.

An old friend of Angel Dust came and swept everyone with her.
I somehow managed to get myself out of that, as I am not a big fan of the party life, and of course I'm still worried for my safety.

It's so empty.
It's so quiet.

Niffty wasn't cleaning everything obsessively, Husk wasn't on the verge of napping on the bar, Angel Dust wasn't lounging in the lobby, Sir pentious wasn't running after his egg boiis and Vaggie and Charlie weren't hanging out and talking.

I wasn't alone, though.
I turned around when a familiar walking tune was sang out by the one and only...

"Hello, Y/n dear!"
Alastor said cheerfully.
"I see you haven't left with the others."

"No shit, sherlock."
I said rather rudely and crossed my arms.

"What's gotten you so mad, dear?"
He put a loving hand on my shoulder, and my muscles instinctively relaxed under it.
"Have you rested well? Did you eat? Currently I have a deer-"

"Excuse me- what the fuck??"
I took a step back from him.
"Why do you suddenly care?"

"Suddenly?"
His smile looked hurt from my outburst.
"I always care about you, my dear."

"Well, it doesn't feel like that at times."
I huffed, looking away, sharing my frustration.
"You were too busy fighting like a child with a very powerful father over caring for his girl. And mind you- I KNOW you don't really care about Charlie this way.
You were trying to get over Lucifer's nerves on Charlie's expense."

Alastor opened his mouth to reply, but I didn't let him.

"This was just dirty. Mimzy said it's been a while since you did anything extreme, but I don't think you've ever changed.
You still have everything I hate in you- you are manipulative, sinister, ignorant and vindictive."

Alastor sighed, but I kept pouring my heart out.

"And you know what hurt the most?
You didn't even LOOK at me. Might as well let me get smashed under the chandelier than treat me like... a THING to keep safe."

"Don't talk like that. You should know you are more than that to me."

"Then WHY are you acting so.. detached?"
I asked quietly.
"How can you still be smiling...?"

"I have to."

"No you don't. It's just to fuel your ego. You told me once, when we were alive, that it's a tool to make sure you are always in control."
I huffed.

"No, dear. I HAVE to."

He shyly and carefully guided my hand up to touch his face. He flinched slightly from the contact before leaning into the warmth.
His face felt stretched because of the permanent, forced smile on his face.

My eyes widened.

This is his curse.
Did he spawn like that?
Or is it a result of something else?

"I apologise for making you feel uncared for."
He mumbled.
"It's been decades since I warmed up to someone. I am... I am not good at expressing myself. My deepest apologies."

"Al..."
I felt my features soften. My thumb went back and forth on his cheek.
"I'm sorry, I should've known... I foolishly thought you are ashamed of me."