Chapter 24: A New Beginning

An year passed by.

.

.

.

High school was over. Every one got admitted to their favourite universities.

So were Mina and Chaeyoung. Surprisingly Chaeng and Somi got into the same college, while Mina's uni was probably a hundred miles away from them. 

It indeed was difficult for Minari to get past her days without seeing her Chaeng. The past one year, though they did keep contact from time to time, their friendship did have some scars. They talked but not too much. It was awkward. However, Mina kept trying her best to keep talking to her 'now' ex, since she didn't want to put her friendship at stake. She has been going through an immense guilt the past one year because she felt that she was the sole reason that ruined the friendship between her and her cub. So, she wanted to undo her mistake by taking the initiative to talk to Chaeng. For her, friendship was more important than anything else. Unfortunately, this effort was not mutual. Chaeyoung kept avoiding Mina in most instances. Unlike Mina, Chaeng didn't have the courage to face her due to the guilt of breaking her heart. It stinged her everytime her eyes met that of Mina's. She wanted to talk but her guilt and lack of confidence and self esteem didn't let her. Chaeng wanted to help her, but she herself was helpless.

Mina never considered Somi being in the same university as Chaeyoung, as a problem, since in the span of one year, the friendship between Somi and Chaeng just got better, especially because they were in the same uni. Mina, being the non-jealous person she is, always wanted the friendship between her two friends to be reborn. Hence, she was happy for them. 

The only thing that disappointed her is, the distance. Mina and Chaeyoung live in two different dormitories in two completely different and far off places. Mina was afraid if this distance will ruin everything that's left. 

.

.

.

Mina was a very silent girl in her uni. She never had friends. The only person she could rely on was her brother, Lim. So she kept a constant contact with him. Another person in the similar situation was Chaeyoung. She hardly found anyone as well to be friends with. This common feature was something that had the potential to replenish the friendship ;)

.

Chaeyoung enquired about how Mina is doing in her classes. She kept an eye on her to ensure that she is safe. Chaeyoung's online presence even saved Minari from certain bullies. She even asked Mina to lend her her roommate's number so that she can ensure that Mina doesn't skip any meal. 

It was true that the guilt was still in Chaeyoung. But her care for her dearest friend was way more than that.

Thus, Michaeng started talking everyday. They updated about each other's lives. They had great laughs about their class shenanigans. They had great long and deep talks from time to time. They ensured that each of them were safe in their own surroundings. 

Mina and Chaeyoung were enough for each other. 

And all this just made Mina fall harder for Chaeyoung and she didn't care if her feelings were reciprocated or not. She just loved this feeling. 

She loved loving her.

.

.

.

As days passed, Michaeng learnt to make friends around them. But nothing was as close as how they were, and nothing can ever be as close as that. 

Both of them were doing well in their own way.

.

.

One fine Thursday, 

"Hey Chaeng, can I tell you something?"

That was Chaeyoung's new friend. 

"I think I am in love with you",

Yugyeom said.