Chapter 26: The Confession

After hearing Somi's words, Mina began to feel hopeful about the future. She felt like there's finally something she could hold onto. However, she still wasn't sure if she was being realistic or just delusional. Thinking about everything, she couldn't sleep. Twisting and turning, she tried but still couldn't. Listened to some good music, but nothing helped. Everything just made her think more and more about her Chaengie.

It was few minutes until midnight when Mina heard the tone of her phone's notification. 

"Hey, are you by any chance awake?"

It was Chaeyoung.

Mina's heart stopped. She kept looking at that notification for a whole minute before snapping back into the present. She opened her text and replied, "Hey, yeaa am fully awake!"

The very next moment she knew, she was on call with Chaeng. 

"Unusual of you to be awake at this hour as an early bird"

"Hehe I wasn't able to sleep, that's all", there came Mina's coy reply.

"What happened? All okay?"

"Yea.. yea of course. uhm-"

"Minari can I tell you something?", Chaeyoung said abruptly. 

"Sup?"

"Uh... well.. what do you think about us?"

Mina was confused, "Us? Uhm.. we are good right? I mean-"

"I like you."

"huh?", Minari was in lost of words all of a sudden. 

"I like you. A lot. I thought it was just a normal friendly feeling, but seems like I actually like you. Like, like like you."

Mina didn't know what to say. It felt like a dream for her. Was she actually hearing what she just heard? How can Chaeyoung like someone like her? She tried pinching herself multiple times to confirm that it's not a dream. But then she didn't want to celebrate any sooner so she asked, "Chaeyoung, are you sure? I don't want you to be confused about you feelings like last time. Tell me only if you are really sure about it."

"Yes! I am. I am sure about it. I like you. Not just as a friend. More than a friend. Romantically. I like you a lot. Like, like like. You know, actual like. The-"

Mina started giggling. She found Chaeyoung absolutely endearing when she was panicking with her words. The way she kept looking for the right term was too adorable. She said, "Haha alright Chaeyoungie. I get it! Soooo..."

"Sooooo"

"What.. are we? Are we back together or do you-"

Mina was again cut off by Chaeyoung's sudden reply, "That's the problem. I know I like you. I'm sure about that. But.. but I don't know if I'm ready to get into a relationship. I just can't bear to hurt you again. I'll hate myself if I do that to you. Well, I already do but then I don't want to hurt you. I don't want to be that person because of whom you will be like me, afraid of relationships. I don't want to be that person who would scar you for life. I just want to keep caring you like my own, and keeping you away from any hurt ever existent. So.. I'm really scared, Minari. I'm really scared. I don't know what to do."

Mina felt to tear up. She felt touched by her words. No one has ever told her this before. She felt like the luckiest girl in the world. 

"Calm down, Chaeng. It's alright. We will figure out something. Like we always do."

"Minari.. see, I don't know how long it will take for me to get ready for a relationship. The mere thought of that scares the fuck out of me. I just-"

"Chaengiee.. c'mon! Don't be soo nervous about it. If you don't want a relationship right now, let's not think about it okay? Let's take things slow, okay?"

"Are you sure? But what if things don't work out like last time?", Chaeyoung's voice cracked when she said that. 

"Don't go so far into the future, love. Let's just live in the moment that we got. Don't think too much about anything, okey? Let's take it slow. You'll be fine. We'll be fine."

"But.. Will you be fine, Mina?"

Mina took a deep sigh and said, "Yes. Yes, I will be."