Chapter Forty: Lions, Lords and Poison

"Alright! Does everyone understand the rules?"

Jasper stood at the center of the room, the flower crown around his bandaged head giving him an almost comical appearance.

The Sapphire Suite had undergone a transformation, with dining chairs stacked on top of the table and the loveseat, settees, and coffee table pushed against the wall to create a makeshift arena.

As Callidus surveyed the room, he could see the varying degrees of emotions among the participants. Mint and Illian appeared equally anxious, while Arden seemingly concentrated intently on the rules. Fenella's hand had been permanently smothering nervous giggles since Jasper and Cressida started explaining how to play.

Meanwhile, Roslindis sat stiffly on the loveseat, clutching Varyan to her chest; the toddler idly chewing on his flower crown. (Which Cressida predicted while picking out the flowers.) The flower crown Callidus had made for his aunt sat untouched next to her in stark contrast to the colorful crowns adorning the heads of the other occupants.

Physician Sakira sat on one of the settees, having unsuccessfully tried to dissuade Jasper from participating. She had resigned herself to observing, with the condition that she would intervene if Jasper's head injury worsened.

But, as always, it was Cressida who caught Callidus's eye.

She practically bounced in place as she asked the room, "So, who wants to be the lion, and who wants to be the lord for the first round?"

No one seemed eager to volunteer for either role.

Fenella, unable to contain her giggles, clarified amidst her laughter, "...and the lion truly has to crawl?"

"Sounds like you'd like to be first, Fen the Hen!" Jasper said with a grin. Fenella's giggles intensified as she shook her head. "Alright, well, I might as well be the first Lord since I already have a blindfold on." Jasper jokingly pulled down his bandage to cover his eyes, but Physician Sakira immediately intervened.

"Your Highness, please keep your bandage in place."

Jasper pouted but complied, grumbling under his breath.

Cressida, sensing the impending impasse, volunteered, "I'll be the lord!"

Immediately Callidus found himself saying, "I'll be the lion."

A shocked hush fell over the room.

Until Jasper let out a cheer, "Alright! Our songbird is our first Lord, and our falcon is our first lion! That means the rest of us animals are lunch! Come on over, Lunch!"

Jasper and the rest of the players moved off to the side, their voices hushed as they secretly drew lots to see who would play the Poison. Meanwhile, Callidus took the opportunity to sidle up to Cressida, drawn to her vibrant energy like a moth to a flame.

Cressida turned to him with a bright bewildered grin. "You're really going through with this?"

"I promised you a life of laughter and sunshine, didn't I?"

Cressida scooted closer, leaning up to whisper. "Laughter, sunshine, and kisses."

Callidus felt a rush of warmth at her words. "I am more than willing to provide all three," he murmured, his voice low with affection. A roar of thunder echoed throughout the suite. "...although sunshine might be difficult to attain today."

Cressida nudged him with a laugh. "Then I'll expect extra of the other two. Now did you catch all the rules? I know it sounds complicated, but it'll make sense when the game starts."