Chapter Ten: Fragile relations

The atmosphere in the Great Hall was tense as Callidus observed his advisors engrossed in fervent discussions, barely pausing for breath. "We must handle this situation with utmost caution," urged the Duke of Renton, Duke Donovan. "Protecting Ashlar's security and sovereignty are vital, but we must also avoid escalating tensions with Eflia."

"Tensions have already escalated, Donovan," Marchioness Arwine immediately countered, while the Duke of Torne muttered under his breath about Eflia's minimal threat. "The Eflians have disregarded proper diplomatic channels by not informing us of their arrival." She continued, "It's clear they found an alternate route to bypass our border defenses and avoid interception. Their intentions remain uncertain, and we must be prepared for any scenario."

"But that raises concerns about the effectiveness of our borders," the Duke of Torne, Duke Leland interjected, now voicing his thoughts aloud. "We cannot afford to have potential threats slipping through unnoticed. This hostile action towards Ashlar demands that-"

"We will address the matter of border security separately," Callidus interrupted, his jaw clenched, "but for now, we must focus on the immediate issue at hand."

"His Highness is correct," Duke Donovan said, "We need to know who is arriving with the delegation, and whether they are truly representing the interests of their nation or if they are independent actors carrying Eflia's flag."

"We must also consider this might be an attempt to negotiate for the release of the thirty-one people we have in our hold," Countess Fenella pointed out. "Including, of course, the Scholar of Magic, and, ah..."

The countess paused after Duke Donovan sent her a meaningful glance. Callidus felt a fleeting sense of satisfaction, knowing that his conversation yesterday with the duke about his intentions for Cressida had likely spread to the other nobles.

He wondered if he should announce their engagement. While he had initially planned for a grand romantic declaration at his Coronation banquet, the urgency to have Cressida by his side became more compelling.

(He longed to see her play the part of the loving fiancée.)

((Since she likely wouldn't feel comfortable rejecting him so publicly.))

"Your Highness," The Duchess of Renton, Duchess Alria quietly spoke up, sensing the moment of silence, "What do you want to do regarding the captives while the Eflian delegation is here?"

"They will remain where they are," Callidus replied firmly. "Their captivity will serve as crucial leverage over the delegates. We shall station a contingent of guards to closely monitor them. Any suspicious behavior or attempts to communicate with the Eflians will be reported immediately."

"Your Highness," commented Duke Donovan, "If the Eflians are indeed seeking to secure the release of the captives, including the Grand Scholar-"

Duke Leland interrupted, "We should expect heavy resistance to the fact that we are keeping him indefinitely in our custody. It is likely that the scholar holds valuable knowledge or secrets that the Eflians are keen to protect."

"Quail Walerian is an Ashlarian citizen," Callidus responded curtly. "They have no jurisdiction in this kingdom and no right to dictate what happens to him on our soil."

Several of the nobles nodded in agreement, and the countess spoke up, "Your Highness, do you think this is a possible move on their part to disrupt your Coronation banquet?"

"How?" Duke Leland rather rudely interjected, "It's a thirty-day journey. This delegation likely has been heading to the capital since they received word of our late king's passing and their people's imprisonment. It's a clear hostile action on their part, and we never should have considered sending Eflia an invitation to the coronation in the first place."