Chapter Seven: Larkspur

Bathed in the enchanting glow of late summer moonlight, the Golden Courtyard exuded an ethereal aura. Delicate beams of pale light caressed the intricate garden beds of purple asters, yellow coreopsis, crimson geraniums, and pink petunias.

(Royalty. Always cheerful. Good health. Gentleness.)

They walked on the polished stone pathway, past an elegant bed of orange marigolds and Callidus tenderly kissed Cressida's hand, his gesture filled with reverence and possessiveness.

(Divinity.) ((Jealousy))

He diligently led her beneath a white wooden archway, ensuring her every step was steady and secure as they made their way on to large round steppingstones, amid patches of grass illuminated by the gentle moonlight.

"...Callidus..." Cressida murmured, "I think I'd like to see another part of the palace. I've been here before."

"It's one of my favorite gardens." Callidus replied, his voice soft and reassuring, despite a thick coil of jealousy twisting in the pit of his stomach at the reminder that Ferox had been the one to introduce this place to her. "We can visit another garden later tonight, but I'd like to begin here."

Callidus felt a surge of anticipation and nervousness, the weight of the wooden ring box in his pocket serving as a constant reminder of his expectations of tonight. With every step he took, it seemed to grow heavier.

Leaving the steppingstones behind, Callidus guided Cressida onto the grass, ensuring she wouldn't stumble due to the sudden change in terrain. However, he noticed a subtle shift in her demeanor. Her grip on his arm tightened, and her gaze grew guarded, flickering with unease.

In front of them, the majestic jacaranda tree swayed in the night air, its branches adorned with clusters of vibrant purple blossoms. The delicate flowers, kissed by the pale light, gently descended upon the grass, creating a stunning blanket of purple hues on the moonlit canvas.

(Rebirth.)

Callidus froze as an intrusive image surged into his mind. Ferox jolting from his casket. The feeling of his agonized, tortured gasps. It was an unwelcome thought, the infuriating reality that he struggled to comprehend.

"...Callidus?"

Callidus jerked his head down to stare at her, his expression softening, "Yes, my love?"

"Can...can we please go to another part of the palace?" Cressida asked, her grey eyes wide as she stared up at him.

"Why?" his curiosity was tinged with tension.

Cressida shifted uneasily, "...I have, um, memories of this place."

"Memories of Ferox?" The words slipped out unintentionally, and Callidus immediately regretted saying them.

(Why did he say that?)

Cressida's mouth popped open in surprise before she thickly swallowed. "...that's right. You were at that dinner." her voice grew soft. "That walk in the courtyard was the last time I saw him before he died. So, I'd...I'd rather not stay here."

(But this is where Callidus was supposed to propose.)

Callidus hesitated, torn between his desire to honor Cressida's wishes and the vision of the future he had seen in his mother's memory crystal. Everything seemed to align perfectly - Cressida wearing the same blue dress, the enchanting moonlight, and the ethereal ambiance of the Golden Courtyard.

"My love, you shouldn't let one fleeting moment tarnish the beauty of this place." He said gently.

Cressida's gaze shifted away from Callidus, landing on the jacaranda tree above them. As a wistful melancholic expression crossed her beautiful face, a surge of jealousy coursed through him, tightening its grip with every passing moment.