Chapter Thirty-nine: A normal morning

Cressida didn't ask for the engagement ring back, and Callidus didn't offer it to her.

Instead, he kept it tightly closed in his fist, even as they made their way into the Sapphire Suite.

Jasper, who had been leisurely enjoying a pastry on the loveseat, choked on his bite at the sight of them. He hastily swallowed, coughing before recovering with a large sip of water.

"Good morning?" Jasper stammered, his wide eyes darting between Callidus and Cressida. "I, uh, was told that door was kept locked."

"Yapper!" Cressida greeted. "Good morning. Enjoying breakfast?"

Cressida seemed more radiant and carefree than she had been in weeks, almost buoyant, as if the events of the morning had lifted a weight off her shoulders. She held Callidus's hand, a vibrant crown of marigolds and wildflowers adorning her messy hair.

"Uh, yeah, can't go wrong with pastries," Jasper replied, taking in their appearances with wide eyes. His baffled expression shifted to amusement, releasing a high-pitched sound reminiscent of Cressida spotting ducklings in the Queen's pond.

"Aww," he cooed. "Look at you two matching."

Perplexed, Callidus glanced at Cressida. She laughed, standing on tiptoes to pluck a wildflower from his hair. "I was going to leave it," she said, playfully. "I thought it looked cute."

Callidus's features softened, and he bent down for her. "Then I'll keep it."

"You want the rest of the palace thinking you look cute?" she questioned, as she twirled the flower in her fingers.

"Why would they ever look at me when you're beside me?"

Cressida's cheeks tinged a rosy hue, and she reached up to place the flower back. Her fingers lingered as she secured it in one of his rain-shrunken curls, meeting his gaze with the sort of warm smile that sent his stomach swarming with butterflies.

"...handsome," she murmured.

Callidus blinked, momentarily taken aback by the compliment. His stoic exterior cracked, and a sincere, lopsided smile graced his lips.

Jasper, clearing his throat, interjected, "Alright, lovebird and Birdie, not only do your flowers match, but so do your mud stains."

Cressida glanced down at their filthy attire and burst into laughter.

Jasper raised an eyebrow. "Do I want to know what you two have been up to?"

Cressida and Callidus shared a glance, silently acknowledging that certain details of the previous night were better left unspoken. She gently squeezed his hand before releasing it to make her way towards the loveseat.

"Oh, Jasper. I'm sorry for yelling at you last night."

She opened her arms to enfold her brother into a hug. Jasper, although still completely baffled, accepted the hug without hesitation.

"Hey, it's alright," he reassured, patting her back. "No need to apologize. You're getting dirt on me."

"I was on edge last night, and I took it out on you. You didn't deserve that."

"No, no, I definitely deserved a bit of scolding. Though that doesn't usually happen in the middle of the night." He paused, "...unless Samira catches me out too late with the boys. But, uh, what were you two up to?"

Cressida pulled away from the hug, her eyes seeking out Callidus's for just a moment. Then she slid into the loveseat beside Jasper. "Can I have this?" she deflected, snatching one of his pastries.