Chapter Thirty-seven: Abandoned

(TW: Panic attack)

In the hushed corridors of the guest wing, each door was flanked by guards who respectfully bowed as Callidus guided Cressida through the familiar hallway. Cressida's gaze lingered on each sentinel, her body subtly tensing against Callidus with each encounter.

Approaching the end of the hall, they arrived at the entrance to the Sapphire Suite, marked by the mesmerizing stained-glass window, its vibrant colors muted by the late hour. The guards stationed outside the suite's door straightened upon catching sight of Callidus, swiftly stepping aside to grant access.

Callidus glanced at Cressida to gauge her reaction before opening the door. Ushering her inside, he closed the door behind them, his eyes never leaving her. Cressida's head swept around the once-familiar confines of her temporary prison, but her expression remained unreadable.

The subtle noise of the bedroom door opening and closing drew their attention, revealing the entrance of Physician Sakira into the main room of the suite. She paused before offering a polite bow. "Your Future Majesties."

Callidus nodded in approval before turning his attention back to Cressida. "You recognize Physician Sakira," he said. "She has been tending to Jasper."

Cressida's gaze shifted towards the closed bedroom door, her face now clearly reflecting concern. Sensing the delicate atmosphere, Sakira spoke gently, "Crown Prince Jasper is currently asleep."

Cressida's worry deepened, and she turned her attention to Sakira. "How is he?"

Sakira's eyes flicked to Callidus, who subtly nodded. As she began detailing Jasper's condition, Callidus's focus was drawn to the middle window overlooking his once-manicured garden, now marred by weeds and overgrown plants. The sight of it filled him with an anxious guilt, much like the sight of Cressida's current worried expression. In an attempt to quell the churning in his stomach, Callidus averted his eyes from both.

"Will he be alright if I see him?" He heard her cautiously ask.

"I gave him something to help him sleep, so he may be somewhat confused should you speak to him. But otherwise, he is fine."

Out of the corner of his eye, Callidus observed Cressida reaching for Sakira's hand, squeezing it graciously. "Thank you for caring for my brother. I remember your treatment when I needed it, and I truly appreciate it."

Sakira's eyes widened, appearing flustered. "O-of course. It is my duty and privilege to provide care to those in need."

Cressida responded with a small, genuine smile, causing a sudden pang of jealousy to course through Callidus. He masked his emotions, maintaining a stoic exterior. "Sakira, you are dismissed to get some rest," he commanded in a subdued tone. "Thank you for your work the last few days." Sakira executed a formal bow before swiftly exiting the suite.

Without sparing Callidus a glance, Cressida headed toward her former bedroom. Instinctively, he reached out, but she deftly sidestepped his attempt to touch her, leaving his outstretched hand hanging in the air. The abrupt rejection left an unsettling ache in its wake, particularly considering how she had clung to him just moments ago.

"Cressida," he called out, but she continued without acknowledging him.

"Callidus, I want some time alone with him, please."

Callidus's heart clenched, a bitterness coating his tongue as he replied, "I promised you honesty, not privacy."

Cressida turned to face him, her eyes penetrating the dimly lit room. "I need both, Callidus."

"I can only provide one. You choose."

"Callidus. I just learned you gave my brother a concussion. Is it any wonder why I don't want to be in the same room as you right now?"