Chapter Thirty-three: Monster

Countess Fenella's scream echoed through the stairwell.

Outside the sitting room door, the lifeless body of Sir Tavian slumped against the wall, his vacant eyes staring into nothing. His armor was missing, and his throat bore the savage and brutal marks of an attack.

Duke Donovan stood frozen, wide eyed, his face paling to a sickly grey. He quickly averted his gaze and clamped his hand tightly over his mouth, letting out a choked gag. Duke Toren placed a supportive hand on Donovan's shoulder, staring at the body in shock and unmitigated horror.

In a triangular formation near the back of the group, Callidus stood flanked by Arden and Mint. Mint kept her eyes firmly fixed on the ground, adhering to Callidus's prior suggestion, while Arden's jaw was set, his gaze focused on Callidus.

The seasoned guard captain, Captain Delmorn, was the first to break the immobilizing shock that gripped them. He made a commanding gesture toward the two guards responsible for escorting Quail to his execution and drew his sword with grim determination. The other guards swiftly followed his unspoken directive, forming a protective barrier in front of the group, swords drawn and ready.

Countess Fenella swayed in place and Arden jumped in to steady her. In a gentle voice, he asked if she were alright, but all she could manage in response was a muffled whimper.

Captain Delmorn bypassed Tavian's lifeless body and entered the former prison cell of Quail and Cilla. Moments later, he emerged, his expression somber as he announced the grim news. "The cell is empty and there's a clear sign of a violent struggle."

Duke Donovan, visibly nauseous, muttered to Duke Toren, "This is a living nightmare."

"I know the poor man..." the countess whispered, heavily leaning against Arden, "His mother and I often attend the same art shows. They come from a well-respected family of royal guards and to be killed so brutally..."

Duke Toren's mouth tightened, "Better to fall in the line of duty, then to be executed for failing."

Donovan, however, muttered into his palm, "In the grander scheme of things, losing a guard is trivial compared to the murderer escaping."

Duke Toren interrupted Donovan, "Show some respect, Donovan!"

"We don't have the luxury of time for respect," the older duke shot back. "The man who murdered His Majesty is now at large! Does that not concern you?"

"You don't think I'm concerned, Donovan? This is a disaster of the highest order!" Toren's voice seethed with accusation as he turned to Callidus. "How could this have happened, Your Highness? You assured us that the prisoners were secure! I expressed my concerns about keeping him here, and now look what's happened!"

"Don't you dare blame his Highness!" The countess swiftly defended, surprising everyone with her sudden ferocity. "It's clear that Quail Walerian is not to be underestimated!"

"Are you suggesting that frail, half-starved old man tore out a strong knight's throat?" Duke Donovan asked her, incredulously.

"Donovan, you met him!" Fenella sharply retorted, her voice cracking. "He talked about sacrificing goats during teatime! He killed his Majesty! And sweet d-darling little Ferox!" The mention of Ferox brought fresh tears to Fenella's eyes. "N-not to mention he had an accomplice."

"That tiny blonde woman?"

"Walerian is Magicborne!" Toren interjected vehemently, his anger suddenly redirected after Fenella's scolding. "For all we know, she is too! And look at this scene. It bears all the hallmarks of an animal attack."

"How in the world would he get such a vicious animal in here?"

"Even rats have teeth and claws, Donovan!"