Chapter Nineteen: Risk

Jasper's gaze shifted from Foster to Callidus, a strained silence hanging in the air. Then, in a controlled tone, he responded, "What's a game of dice without a little risk?"

The response hung in the air, laden with layers of meaning. Callidus's eyes, sharp and assessing, bore into Jasper, searching for the unspoken intentions behind his words. Arden looked between the three men with a wide-eyed expression of confusion and concern. Lady Hale's face was lined with worry, her brows furrowed and jaw tight.

Callidus's lips curled into a subtle smile, "A game, indeed. And like any game, you were well aware of the rules before you began to play."

Callidus's gaze shifted back to Foster, his eyes narrowing. "Jasper," he said, addressing the red-headed prince without looking at him, "did you truly think you could send your men to sneak around in my study without consequences?"

Before Jasper could respond, Foster's voice suddenly emerged in a strained rasp, "He didn't."

Callidus stared at the man. "No?"

Jasper, unable to stay on the periphery any longer, stepped into the room, his voice filled with concern, "Foster, hey-"

Foster's gaze held steady, meeting Callidus's with a determined intensity. "Jazz didn't send me," he stated firmly, "I acted on my own."

"Did you now?" Callidus's response was quiet but laced with skepticism. "And let's see what information you were so keen to gather for yourself." In an instant, a swift breeze shot up to the high shelf above them, retrieving the documents that Foster had been clutching in his hand the previous night.

The unexpected rush of air made Foster flinch involuntarily, his hand instinctively rising to his reddening neck. (Arden no longer flinched, a realization that pleased Callidus.)

Callidus's fingers deftly plucked the retrieved documents from the air, his gaze leaving Foster's unsettled expression to quickly scan the papers. "These documents," Callidus began, his voice a cool, calculated cadence, "they pertain to matters of trade routes and border security. Not the sort of information one collects out of idle curiosity."

Foster's jaw tightened, "My family are merchants," he said firmly, "That information is important to me."

Callidus's lips curled into a faint, mirthless smile. "What good does that information do in the hands of a guard?" His gaze shifted briefly to Jasper before returning to Foster. "But that information would be priceless for, say, a prince who was holding court this morning with my head of foreign trade, and the duke in charge of Eflia's border."

Foster's expression flickered, and his brown eyes locked with Jasper's. They seemed to hold a silent conversation, Jasper's face pleading while Foster shook his head nearly imperceptibly, until Jasper's shoulders slumped in resignation.

"...Foster acted on his own, Your Highness," Jasper said, his tone subdued and quiet, "I had no idea he was planning on entering your study."

Callidus arched an eyebrow, his skepticism lingering beneath his controlled facade. He let a moment of silence hang in the air before responding, his voice neutral, "Is that so?" He turned his gaze to Foster, a cool detachment in his eyes. "Quite a risk to take without any kind of assurance or direction."

Jasper's gaze remained on the floor for a moment before he looked up, his eyes filled with desperation. "Please, Cal, I know it was foolish, but Foster's intentions weren't malicious."

"You're a prince, Jasper," Callidus reminded him, "You should know the severity of breaking into a king's private chambers, regardless of intentions."

Jasper's frustration was palpable as he ran a hand through his hair. "Come on, Cal, he didn't piss in your bed. He just looked at some papers."