Chapter Twenty: Sacrifice

(TW: Violence, mentions of suicide, forced suicide)

The room stilled, the atmosphere growing tense as Jasper processed the revelation.

Jasper's initial response was an almost instinctual withdrawal, as if he had been physically struck. His usually animated features hardened, his gaze now distant and troubled.

"What did you just say?" Jasper's voice was barely a whisper, his eyes locked onto Callidus's face as if searching for any sign that this was some kind of twisted joke.

"I intend to marry Cressida," Callidus repeated, his tone steady.

Jasper's knuckles turned white as he gripped the arms of his chair, "Cal, you can't be serious," he finally managed to say.

Callidus simply stared at him.

"You can't be serious, Cal," Jasper repeated, "First Ox, now you? I know redheads are irresistible but come on."

Callidus bristled, "I assure you, Jasper, that my intentions to marry Cressida far preceded Ferox's. It was my father who pushed for their marriage."

After several tense seconds Jasper seemed to perk up in realization, "Hey hey, I get it. You want some way to honor your father's wishes and connect with your late brother. I understand that. That makes total sense Cal."

Callidus blinked. That couldn't be further from the truth.

"And hey," Jasper continued, his voice regaining its usual charming tone, "I'm sure you're getting pressure on all sides to get married as soon as possible. You're a new king without much support, right about to start your reign. Marriage to a strong noble house is probably the smartest move you could make right now."

Jasper released the arms of his chair, clasping his hands together in front of his chest, "However, although I hate to knock my own country, Eflia really wouldn't be the best choice for you. I know Ashlar already has strong ties to Meross, but what about my wife's country? Samira has a younger sister and she's fantastic at chess. I feel like you two would really hit it off." Jasper's expression slid into a grin, "And, best part, I'd still get to see you at family gatherings!"

"Jasper," Callidus interjected, his voice firm, "I believe when we first met, I informed you that I do not appease anyone, or let external pressures dictate my decisions. This decision is my own, and my words are straightforward. I intend to marry Cressida."

"Alright. Okay. I think I got you," Jasper said, extending his hands in a placatory manner, "You have your heart set on marrying an Eflian. And I think that's great. I love that. We're great. But my sister isn't the only option. I've got a few cousins, and they're all charming and well-connected. We could find a match that benefits both our kingdoms. Trust me, I've been to enough royal matchmaking parties to know how these things work."

Callidus's patience began to fray as he listened to Jasper's attempts to divert the conversation. Each suggestion felt like a betrayal of his love and devotion for Cressida, and he felt an immediate rush of intense revulsion at the very unfathomable thought of marrying anyone else.

"Jasper, before you offer any more suggestions, let me make it abundantly clear that I have no intention of considering other options or entertaining any alternatives. Cressida is the only one I will marry, or I shall never marry anyone."

Jasper's expression shifted from one of coaxing to one of concern, "...you're gonna be the king, Cal. You kind of have to. Marrying someone and pushing out babies is part of the job."

Callidus's gaze remained steady as he absorbed Jasper's words, his expression unyielding. He leaned forward in his chair, his fingers steepled on his desk, a thoughtful demeanor replacing his initial intensity.