Chapter Fifteen: Liar's dice

Mint's notes were missing.

With the taste of honey tarts and Cressida's kisses still coating his lips, Callidus scoured the Royal Tombs.

With an increasing sense of urgency, Callidus meticulously searched the tops of each crypt, sending a powerful blast of air through every crack and crevice of the floor, and even cracked open Ferox's casket and lifted his brother's one-day-old corpse, hoping to find the notes hidden underneath.

The storm outside raged on, with flashes of lightning providing momentary glimpses of the cobblestone path as Callidus made his way back to the main palace, his air not allowing a single drop of rain to touch his skin.

His mind raced with possibilities. Had someone (Jasper) found the folder and taken it? Or had he left it somewhere else? The latter seemed unlikely, as he distinctly remembered bringing it with him.

(But Jasper hadn't acted any differently yesterday.)

Entering his study, Callidus searched every corner, every shelf, and every drawer, but there was no sign of the leather folder. As Callidus stood in the middle of the room, frustration and worry gnawing at him, he heard a knock on the outside of the door.

Jasper's voice followed, calling out, "Cal! Are you busy in there?"

Callidus whirled around to catch Jasper peeking his head in through the cracked door.

With a forcefully measured tone, Callidus said, "Prince Jasper, I believe I informed you that this room is for business only. Do you have business with me?"

Despite the prince's nonchalant attitude, Callidus's suspicion lingered. His eyes carefully studied Jasper's demeanor, attempting to discern whether the prince had indeed found and read the contents of the leather folder. Jasper's expressions remained enigmatic, displaying nothing more than his usual playful and charismatic exterior as he confidently stepped into the study, seemingly undeterred by Callidus's stern demeanor.

"I haven't seen you all day! It's past one! Did you sleep in?" Jasper asked casually, as if oblivious to the tension in the room.

(Callidus had slept in.)

((With Cressida.))

(((And it had been wonderful)))

"Do you have business with me?" Callidus repeated.

"I have a proposition of both business and pleasure! I was about to start a game of Liar's Dice, and I thought you might want to join in."

"Liar's dice?" Callidus echoed, before his eyes narrowed in displeasure, "Are you intending to insult me?"

Jasper raised his hands in a defensive manner, blinking innocently. "No, no, Cal, that's just the name of the game. You've never played?"

"No. And I have no time for games."

"Is it because you slept in till one?" Jasper teased, a playful grin sliding into place. Callidus felt a flicker of irritation, but Jasper continued, "Are you a betting man, Cal?"

Callidus couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at Jasper's antics, "No. I am not a fan of games of chance."

"Ah, but this is a game of strategy! Of bluffing and skills of deception." He paused, "And sometimes basic math. That part gets harder the more you drink."

Callidus's brief flicker of interest immediately faded. "It's a drinking game, then."

Jasper quickly interjected, "Not necessarily! That just adds a different challenge to the game. And it's the only way I can get Foster to play. Come on, Cal, just one round!"